XXVIII

The wedding day came sooner than she expected.

Eliana didn't need a makeup artist or a hairdresser because her sister was doing = great in both roles.

"If I will make you look ugly, maybe the groom will run away?" Casey muttered, focusing on applying golden shadows to her eyelid.

"You can try but I fear he's not scared off easily"

"Yeah" Casey agreed with a heavy heart "He's a type of person who is bored when watching a horror movie, meanwhile you are a type of person who cries with her head under the pillow. But opposites attract, they say"

"There's no way he can scare me off with his looks though, even if he wore clown makeup and a trash bag, he's still insanely handsome"

 Casey stabbed her sister in the shoulder with the clean tip of the brush, gently.

"Ouch! What was that for?"

"Stand up! He's just some dude. I wouldn't trust him if I was you"

"Okay, okay. I will be careful"

"You better"

"You should be careful too. And behave. Who knows what Vincentis are capable of"

"Who cares? I won't be here after you get your parent's money" 

"What? Why not?" Eliana was confused. 

"You will send me to a boarding school"

"What gave you that idea?" Now Eliana has stressed "Casey, I would never send you away"

Casey rolled her eyes "Jeez, Eli, I want to be sent away. I want to go to school with handsome, disgustingly rich and spoiled hotties"

"You watch too much TV"

Casey just shrugged her shoulders, without care. She then coated a brush with pink powder and added her last touches to Eliana's makeup. "Okay, done. You look cute"

Eliana came closer to the huge mirror situated in the corner of the room. She could barely believe she was the woman who stares at her in the mirror's reflection. Barely a few weeks ago she was washed up. Her hair, her eyes dull. 

Now they were glowing. Her green eyes were sparking with a mix of anxiety and excitement, and her brown hair looked soft, life returned to them as well, their colour felt more... intense. They even looked thicker. Now they were twisted into a graceful bun situated at the crown of her head, secured with hairsticks. 

Her white wedding gown was adorned with lace and rhinestones. The makeup of Casey's authorship was soft, almost invisible, but somehow it made her face different, prettier. 

Even if it is a fake wedding, Eliana felt like she was living in a dream.

But her happiness had a time limit.

"I think it's time," Casey said, looking at her watch. 

Eliana nodded and followed her sister. As she entered the corridor, she abruptly stopped. She and Casey weren't alone. 

"Harvey?"How did he get here? Was he invited as a guest? Even if he wasn't today could be the only day when it's possible to break into Vincenti fortress. This is because there were so many people invited to the ceremony. The huge garden at the back of the mansion was now filled up with people and all the Vincenti brothers were out there taking care of the guests. "What are you doing here?"

"Who's going to walk you down the aisle other than your uncle?"

"You are not welcome here. You need to leave" Eliana said firmly.

"Ah. Such harsh words from my niece" he said in a fake-hurt voice, it sounded more like a mockery "You thought you had already outsmarted me, haven't you, Eliana? I had bad news for you - you didn't. Don't make me even more upset than I already am"

He was threatening her, clearly.

"Forget it" Eliana replied with harshness and disgust. The idea of holding his hand made Eliana nauseous. Never in a million years, she would do that.

Or would she?

Her anger shifted into fear as Harvey's eyes shifted from her to Casey.

"And who's that?" Harvey asked with artificial enthusiasm, "Isn't that our little Casey? We didn't have a chance to meet yet. So what are you coming to hug uncle?"

"I'm going to get help," Casey said softly, Eliana nodded.

"Not very chatty, is she?" Harvey asked, he was clearly letting Casey go. He wanted to be alone with Eliana.

"Don't look at her. Don't talk about her" Eliana ordered firmly.

He ignored her.

"You know, Eliana, I've been focusing on you so far, but maybe I should pay more attention to your sister. Seems that you care about her, what would you do if someone was about to happen to your poor Casey?"

"If you ever try to hurt her-" before she could finish he stopped her with a hand gesture.

"Why talk about such an unpleasant topic now? It's your wedding, dear. Just let me fulfil my duty" he reached his hand out to her. 

Eliana contemplated pushing him down the stairs but she knew it was not an ideal solution. She gave him her hand but she made sure her long nails are grinding into his skin. Deep.

***

It was a civil wedding and the ceremony was to take place in the garden in front of Rafael's house. For a make-believe wedding, this was a very authentic and very crowded ceremony.

Eliana wondered what Rafael felt or thought when he saw her in a white dress walking down the aisle with her uncle holding her hand. 

Uncle Harvey was the reason why this wedding was happening in the first place.

Eliana's made sure to hold her chin up high. There was an unfamiliar firmness in her eyes as she was in fighting mode. She broke out of Harvey's grip as soon as they reached Rafael. 

When Eliana finally stood in front of Rafael she met with his cold, unreadable expression. To her surprise, Rafael in a gentle gesture wiped a lonely tear from her cheek with his thumb.

"You are the most beautiful woman I have ever met," he said quietly. He completely ignored Harvey's presence which made Eliana want to ignore his presence as well. He sounded sincere and she couldn't believe that perfect man is completing her looks.

The minister then began to proceed with the ceremony. Rings were exchanged, vows were echoed back and forth, and they finally heard: 

" I now pronounce you husband and wife...you may now kiss your bride" 

Rafael did not hesitate to act. His lips were firmly pressed against her and she was returning the kiss. For a moment Eliana forgot they have an audience. He was so freaking good at kissing.  

When he pulled away he whispered, "You're mine. Only mine. I will not let anyone hurt you". This was his acknowledgement that he's aware of the biggest threat to her watching her now. Harvey - her enemy, her tormentor - was here. 

But something was different now. Before she was afraid of him but now that she was in Rafael's embrace she was afraid of nothing