Chapter 7

CHAPTER 7

            I stood in the mirror, trying to decide about whether or not I should dress into something nicer for when my dad’s friends came. I was still just in a older t-shirt and shorts and I was going through my new closet, wondering if I should put in something else. Maybe a nicer t-shirt. I was interrupted in my thoughts from a knock at the door. I called back, “come in.”

            I looked over my shoulder and saw Tara there with Tommy in her arms. I smiled at the baby before looking up at Tara. I suddenly heard some motorcycles come down the road and it made me jump slightly. Tara gave me a small smile and said, “I was just about to tell you that the guys were on their way. It’s just Clay, Gemma, and Jax right now. The others will be here shortly.”

            I nodded and gave out a small sigh and ran a hand through my hair before I put a black beanie in it. Tara told me, “Gemma should be with Clay. If you are nervous, don’t be. The guys will be surprised, but they will be okay with you. And if you are still worried, just stick with me or Opie or your dad.”

            I gave her a small smile, “thanks.”

            I could see Tara looking around my room. I added a lot of my things to it. I had my books and CDs set up and most of my other things around the room. I even got some of my posters up and my one blanket out on my bed.

            Tara looked at my comic book style Captain America blanket and then my movie poster of Captain America as well as other, smaller Captain America posters from the comic books. She raised her eyebrows and I shrugged, “just kind of my thing, you know.”

            “Why Captain America?” she asked.

            I opened my mouth to answer before I shook my head, “it’s…it’s kind of stupid anyway.”

            Tara twisted her face a bit, “I bet it isn’t.”

            I was silent for a couple of moments as I heard more motorcycles coming in. I sighed before answering her, “when I was a kid, I used to think that Captain America was my dad.”

            I could tell I got Tara by surprise with my answer. I explained a bit, “when you live in the foster system or at orphanages or girls homes, you kind of like to make up stories when you were kids about what your parents were doing, who they are, what they looked like…I got ahold of a comic book and started to read it when I was six and this boy commented that I looked like him…and I guess the belief came from there. We both had blonde hair and the reason why he couldn’t keep me with him was because he was fighting bad guys.”

            I pursed my lips, Tara still staring at me before she whispered, “I’m sorry. I didn’t realize that it was that personal.”

            I shook my head, “no, it’s fine. Really. I never really grew out of it. As a kid I tried to read all the Captain America comics I could get a hold of, for my birthday I would ask for their comic books. When the movie came out I went to see it on opening night…Just kind of stuck.”

            Tara nodded and I heard the front door opening and shutting and some loud men laughing. Tara looked over her shoulder and I could hear Abel’s loud voice: “Daddy!”

            I smiled a bit from my brother and Tara sighed, “that would be them. Like I said, just be yourself, stick around me or Opie and you will be fine. Really.”

            I nodded and told her, “thanks Tara…but…do you think that I should change…or would this do?” I looked down at my self during that time and I looked back up at Tara to see her smile. Tara laughed a bit and told me, “you look fine. These guys don’t know the definition of dressing fancy anyway.”