Chapter Three

CHAPTER 3

            I woke up from the sun burning into my eyes. I rolled over in the bed that I was in before looking the clock that I saw on the nightstand. It was almost nine in the morning. I knew that it was probably time for me to get to bed. I pulled the covers back and slowly got out of bed, stretching my arms above my head.

            It was a weird room that I was in. It was a guest room, but still looked as though there was someone living in it. The desk and drawers were empty, but it felt like I was intruding on something. If my dad was in a biker gang however then there was probably a lot of people who would stay over some time or another.

            I looked at the nightstand before I picked up my hearing aid and I began to walk out of the room. I was in my extra pair of paints and sweater that I went to bed in since my other clothes I was sure were still soaked. Once I opened the door, I was hit with the smell of something cooking in the kitchen. I knew that she at least made pancakes, but there were other things in the making.

            I walked down the hallway into the kitchen, putting on my hearing aid as I looked up at Gemma. The woman was standing at the stove, making something. She looked up at me when she heard me walking down the hallway. I saw her say something, but I didn’t have my aid on completely. It was only a whisper that I could barely make out. After setting the aid on, I could hear the louder hiss of something cooking and frying. I looked at Gemma and asked her, “say again? Sorry I didn’t have my aid completely on.”

            She gave me a weird look and I pulled back my hair so that she could see my hearing aids. She took a look before saying, “I didn’t know you were deaf.”

            “I’m not, I just have bad hearing. I can kinda hear without them. I could hear if someone was yelling at me, but it would sound like a normal conversation. When you were talking before I could make out what you said like it was a whisper, but I just wanted to make sure that I heard what you said,” I answered her before putting my hair back. I looked over at what she was making. I saw some eggs, pancakes, and sausage.

            “How did that happen?” Gemma asked as she flipped an egg.

            “I got sick with something when I was five. A high fever or something. It damaged my hearing,” I answered before I asked Gemma, “what’s all this?”

            Gemma nodded, “well, it’s all for you. A special breakfast. I just found out that I have a granddaughter, I have to try and make up for the past years. Plus, it seems as though you could do with a big breakfast like this…you better eat breakfast I hope.”

            I chuckled and moved to sit down at the table before I answered her, “I do when I can. Sometimes I wake to late and have to get to school. Or if I’m not hungry.”

            “Well, are you hungry?” Gemma asked.

            I nodded a bit too quickly and she chuckled and began to get out a plate. I quickly told her, “umm…no eggs? Sorry they make me nauseous.”

            Gemma smiled and gave me a couple of pancakes and sausages before placing the plate on the table in front of me. She went over to the fridge and asked, “do you like maple syrup with your pancakes? And what do you usually drink?”

            “I prefer rum myself.” I told her.

            She grinned and looked up and me and I chuckled back. She shook her head and said, “oh you are my granddaughter. No doubt about that.”