Chapter 4

CHAPTER 4

            I was waiting outside as Gemma and Clay were saying their goodbyes when I saw a dark blue car roll into the driveway. My father had left a bit ago to go home so that Tara would be free of ‘the boys’, as he called them. But they were my brothers. I don’t know why I hadn’t met them yet, but I was guessing that everyone wanted to meet people in baby steps. One at a time. I was fine with it, I just wished that I knew more about my half brothers. They sounded very young how Gemma and my dad talked about them.

            I saw a semi tall brunette woman with long hair step out of the car before her eyes went straight to me. I could only guess that this was the ‘Tara’ what everyone mentioned this morning. She was pretty. She looked kind of surprised to see me, but still nervous at the same time. I knew that feeling, it was weird. It usually happened when you met someone new.

            When she was in front of me, the woman sighed and said, “you must be Sidney.”

            I nodded and the brunette gave me a small smile, “you look like him…you’re dad I mean. A bit of Gemma in you too.”

            It was weird. Everyone was saying that I looked like Jax, but I couldn’t see much except for my blonde hair. Was I wrong?

            Nodding again I asked, “I’m guessing you’re Tara?”

            The brunette nodded, “Yeah, your step mom.”

            We both nodded this time and she looked down over me again. It was awkward. I wondered if she liked me. I was a sudden surprise, but I wasn’t her surprise. I was my dad’s surprise. Tara had to get dragged along for the ride for this.

            I was thankful when Gemma stepped out and looked at us, smiling, “well I got cash and credit so we should have enough. I thought that it would be easier to take your car, Tara. We’d be bringing all of the stuff back to your house anyway.”

            Tara nodded and looked at me, “we have a bedroom set out too, if you want to get things to fill it. Gemma told me that you only have two pairs of clothes. We’ll worry about that first.”

            I nodded. Thank goodness for Gemma. She could steer the situation and try and get rid of the awkwardness. I still had to get to know Tara and she still had to get to know me.

            All three of us got into the car, me going into the back seat. Tara had moved some of the car seats to the side so that I would fit. I looked at them. There was one for a toddler and one for a baby. I was right, my brothers must be very young.

            Gemma looked back at me after Tara started to drive off, “where do you want to head sweetheart? We have a couple of shops downtown.”

            I nodded and Gemma asked, “I also just thought of this, do you have any allergies?”

            I shook my head, “No.”

            “Good. We don’t need to find anything particular for lunch then,” Gemma stated as she turned and looked out front. I looked through the window. It was a sunny day and it was a bit hot, but I got used to heat. I actually loved it. I was wearing white shorts with a beige coloured sweater with a black elephant on it with a white beanie on my head. I had to wear the same shoes as last night. They were still soaked, but I wouldn’t complain.

            Tara’s voice got me out of my thoughts as she asked, “how old are you, Sidney?”

            “Seventeen,” I answered.