Three

Albus Dumbledore was seated in his office, preparing for the students arrival next week, when Severus Snape walked in with a scowl on his face, "I was beginning to think you would never return, Severus. Now take a seat and tell me, is everything alright?"

The master of potions clenched his jaw tightly, "They abused him, Albus! You knew they abused him, yet you still let him stay there."

Suddenly the headmaster's usually carefree face turned to a hurt expression, "Severus, it is not what you think."

"But you knew that the boy was being abused, and clearly didn't do anything about it. I thought you of all people would know to step in, especially after what never happened when I was a student here." He explained, now feeling a strange connection with the child he never cared for. He hated it.

Albus sighed, "I have spoken many times to the Dursley's about treating Harry better, and even got them to give him his own room."

Before he could continue, Severus was quick to cut him off, "Yeah a room that has at least ten padlocks on the door and bars upon his window. When I found him he was locked away under the stairs! They treat him like a prisoner, but worse than that even. The boy was covered is bruises and had whip marks on his back, Albus."

The elder man wasn't sure what to say. It wasn't something he wanted for Harry, but it's not like he really could go anywhere else either, "It is the only place that can keep him safe, with the protective charm and all..."

"And what's going to keep him safe from his relatives then?" Snape snapped.

"Look Severus, I do not like him staying there just as much as you, but he is protected there. I would much rather have him be bruised over the summer than to find him dead by Voldemort. Besides, living with the Dursley's seems to be making him stronger in the long run. Plus he is here more often than he is with his relatives, so it is really not that bad."

"Stop, Just stop. I don't want to hear excuses about how it's building character and preparing him for the future. He's a child, not a soldier. Regardless of whether he's Jame's child or not, he doesn't deserve to be treated like that. No child deserves to be abused, Albus." Severus reasoned, having enough with the conversation. He knew no matter what Dumbledore could possibly say, it wouldn't change his views.

"Where is Harry now?" Albus wondered, as they both seemed to say all that they had to say on the matter.

"No longer at the Dursley's." Severus stated, still certain that he'd never return there, "I wasn't sure where to put him, so I left him with the Weasley's for now."

"You know he can not stay there for long, Severus. Molly and Arthur have enough children to look after and can barely provide for them as is." He explained, as the was fairly obvious.

"I know, and he's only staying there just for the time being. If he can just stay there until school starts then during the school year I can find an actual home for him. I was thinking maybe Minerva. She loves children and always was the motherly type, so it would be perfect."

"Except she is past that stage and does not have the time to care for a child. If you really do not want him staying with the Dursley's anymore then maybe it would be best if you became Harry's guardian."

"Don't be ridiculous, Albus. You know I can't take care of anyone but myself. Besides, he's Jame's kid."

"But also Lily's child."

"Well there's got to be someone who can provide better care for the boy. What about Poppy? She's always been good with children."

"Same reason why Minerva can not. Now if you really do not want Harry staying with the Dursley's, then take him in yourself." Dumbledore repeated, with a gentle tone in his voice.