Chapter 24: Chocolate Chip Cookies

After having handed in his Psychology essay, which he'd written in a late-night frenzy since the recent development in his love life had been very distracting lately, Robin had a few minutes to kill before meeting up with his boyfriend. He sat down on a bench in the square in the middle of campus, breathing in the crisp fall air. The trees burned in red and orange around him and leaves crackled satisfyingly under the soles of rushing students.

Robin was happier than he'd ever been before. He was in love, and he could feel it in his whole body. Every cell was rejuvenated and tingling. But yet, something didn't feel right. It felt like someone was watching him. Robin could feel it. He spun around, almost falling off the bench.

No one was there.

He was just paranoid. That was the mantra he'd repeated all day, but yet, the feeling wouldn't go away. The sensation of staring eyes kept burning at the back of his head, making the hairs on his neck raise.

Robin spun again.

Was there someone running around the corner? A small bird-like woman with cold eyes and bitter embraces.

He kept seeing his mother everywhere. Perhaps it was the lack of prying phone calls that made him imagine her hiding around every corner instead, ready to take him away from everything he treasured.

His recent run-ins with her felt too easy. It seemed she'd bought his lies, but he couldn't imagine Liza Erie would just release her grip on her only son just like that. She would dig her claws back in soon enough. And when she did, he needed to be ready. Robin knew he needed to spend this time coming up with a plan.

If only Ty's kisses weren't so distracting.

Perhaps he should just face her head-on. He should just go home this weekend, tell her his truth, and then figure everything else out. Maybe they could come to an agreement regarding his education, as Robin knew his mother coveted the prestige of him taking charge of his father's business. Without a university degree, he couldn't do that. Him being gay didn't change any of that.

A nudge on Robin's leg rattled him. With a yelp, he spun once again.

"Why are you so tense, Robby?" Ty greeted him, holding up the crutch used for poking. "I'm not trying to attack."

"Sorry..." Robin mumbled, elated to see his boyfriend. They'd been apart for the whole day--which felt like an eternity--as Tyler had been away for a doctor's appointment. "I was just thinking of something."

His boyfriend sat down next to him, letting a hand fondle a tense thigh. "You need to relax, Robby," he surmised. "Maybe we should go back to your place so I can help you release some tension." He wiggled his eyebrows suggestively and nodded toward Robin's crotch.

While the offer was tempting, Robin didn't want to miss the LGBTQ group meeting they were about to attend together. To bring Ty with him to such a gathering felt like an important step in making their relationship official: to mingle with their peers who he knew would be as excited about their coupling as them.

"Maybe afterward," he offered, putting his hand on top of the fondling hand. "How did your hospital visit go?"

"Good." Tyler flashed a smile. "The doctor thinks I'm ready to have a prosthetic leg fitted."

"That's great!" Robin knew how much his boyfriend had longed for this; to be able to walk around on two legs again and discard those pesky crutches.

"It is..." Tyler looked down, not as exuberant about this as Robin would have expected.

"What's wrong?"

"It's just that..." Tyler sighed, clasping Robin's hand in his."The fitting is in Halifax and I have to be there on Monday already. I would have to be away from you for almost two weeks as they have to make a mold first and then fit it. After that, I will have to learn how to walk again."