Bonus Chapter: Two-year Anniversary

To celebrate it being two years since Sweet Little Birds was first published, I wrote this little bonus chapter, featuring Robin and Tyler also celebrating having been together two years (I also wrote a one-year anniversary last year and since newer readers wouldn't have read that chapter, I have also republished that one).

Enjoy! And thank you to everyone who has given this story a shot during these two years!

***

"Finally!" Tyler threw himself on the spacious bed, looking like it was big enough to fit a whole family. An audible sigh came from the fluffy comforter as he sunk into it. "Time to get this sucker off." He sat up to detach his prosthetic leg, probably needing some relief from its hold before they ventured outside again.

Robin looked around the luxurious hotel room in amazement. His brain hadn't quite caught up with the change in scenery yet. It was only this morning that they left a snow-encrusted Canada, and now, a mere six hours later or so, they were in sunny Mexico.

The gleam of the aquamarine sea past the sliding glass doors was almost too vibrant for his retinas to handle. It called on him to frolic through sun-warmed sand to submerge himself in its salty waves. After having stressed about midterms the last two weeks, this was a well-needed break for both of them. Especially as it had been difficult to find time for cuddles and kisses in between studying and tests.

Robin didn't know how he would ever thank Jon and Alejandro for their gracious gift for his and Tyler's two-year anniversary together. He'd tried to tell the couple that it was too much and that he would never be able to repay them, but they had insisted that he should go, claiming that they got a good deal on the trip, on account of being regular visitors to the LGBTQ-friendly resort themselves.

Seeing the rainbow flags by the entrance and being greeted by staff with pronouns on their badges had been a relief after the flight. Robin was a nervous flier to begin with and not knowing how much affection was safe to display in public areas added to his anxiety. But within the confines of the resort, he didn't need to feel any such qualms.

"Now I don't need to behave anymore," Tyler proclaimed, a blissful expression on his face as he once again threw himself into the hold of the soft bedspread. "Come here, Robby." He reached a hand toward his boyfriend, pulling him down onto the bed.

It was like being cuddled by a fluffy cloud.

"I don't remember you behaving on the plane," Robin muttered, placing a kiss on Tyler's cheek. "You kept insisting we should do naughty things in the bathroom."

"And we totally should have!" Tyler insisted, returning the favor by kissing Robin's forehead. "It would have made you more relaxed during the flight."

Robin wasn't sure that worrying about whether a flight attendant would walk in on the would have had a calming effect on his nerves, although perhaps he would have forgotten about such fears in the moment.

"We wouldn't have both fit in there anyway," he reasoned, taking Tyler's hand in his. The whiteness of the room and the bright sunshine outside made it feel like they floated in a bubble of pure light.

"We could have tried," Tyler pouted overdramatically.

A wave of anxiousness washed over Robin, not unlike the salty cascades outside, bringing with it insisting thoughts of having let his boyfriend down. Which he, of course, never wanted to do.

"I'm joking, cutie," Tyler assured him, perhaps noticing Robin's breath speeding up as his mind started to spiral. "Mostly, at least... It's not my fault that I have naughty thoughts every time I look at you. You're just too damn hot!"

Tyler flung himself onto Robin's shoulder, causing blonde curls to tickle his chin. Robin tilted his face down slightly to meet Tyler's lips in a kiss hit enough to dry away any remaining drop of anxiety.

"So what are you thinking of now?" he asked, pulling Tyler closer to bury his nose in soft curls that smelled of tanning lotion and airplane.

"That balcony over there." Tyler gestured wildly toward the glass doors to the side of the bed, which lead to a spacious patio, overlooking the sea. "It looks very... secluded. So I bet with could do naughty stuff out there without anyone seeing us. And it would be much less cramped than the airplane bathroom!"

The patio did indeed look secluded, with high stone walls on both sides that separated it from the view of the other rooms. And they were on the top floor, so no one above could gaze down upon them either. "We can check it out in a bit," he promised. "Just let me... decompress here for a bit."

"Sounds good to me." Tyler snuggled closer, starting to play with the strings on Robin's pants as his restless hands couldn't be still.

Looking up at the aquamarine tiles in the ceiling, a sense of calm instilled itself in Robin. Having arrived at the room successfully after the rush of packing, getting to the airport, boarding, listening for signs of an impending crash for the whole flight, going through customs, finding their bags, and hailing a cab, he could finally look forward to their stay at the resort. Everything appeared bright, warm, and welcoming. And Tyler was with him, which really was the most important thing.

"Maybe we can just go down to the pool today," Tyler suggested. "Then we'll check out the beach tomorrow."

To just stay by the pool and not leave the safe bubble of the resort just yet did sound nice to Robin. But he was once again struck by worry. "You've been talking about going to the beach to snorkel ever since Jon and Alejandro gave us this trip though," he protested. "You sure you don't want to go there tonight?"

Tyler's curls rustled against Robin's neck as he shook his head. "I rather just relax here," he insisted. "My leg is kind of sore already and it looks like it will take a while to walk down there. And sand is always difficult. So I want to be prepared before we trek out there tomorrow. Today, we can get some fruity drinks, strut in front of all the old gay guys, and make out in the pool."

"Sounds perfect," Robin agreed.

"Just as perfect as you." Tyler planted a kiss on Robin's lips, igniting fire within him which spread like sunshine across his skin. "Happy anniversary, cutie."

Who needed the sun when you had Tyler? The brightest beaming ray of sunshine of them all. With his blonde hair and skin somehow already kissed by the tropical sun, he embodied everything warm and alluring.

"Happy anniversary," Robin mumbled back, his lips still attached to Tyler's.

"Maybe we can spend every anniversary here," Tyler suggested, their foreheads nestled close. "Until we're super old like Jon and Alejandro."

Robin was quite sure Alejandro was still in his forties, which probably didn't qualify as super old, but didn't correct his boyfriend.

"We'll go anywhere you want," he promised Tyler. The fact that Tyler assumed they would still be together twenty or thirty years from now was definitely assuring since Robin wanted nothing rather than to spend every moment possible with his blonde dreamboy.

"Can we go to the patio?" Tyler suggested, wigging his eyebrows in a suggestive manner. He was definitely thinking of naughty things again.

"Anywhere," Robin repeated, taking Tyler's hand as they rose from the bed to bask in the sunshine outside.

Author's Note: I also wanted to assure everyone that while it may seem like I'm not writing anything new at the moment for the Sweet Universe (well, except for this chapter) there is work going on behind the scenes. I'm currently editing Sweet Tea to sort out some kinks caused by the edit of SLB (which made the stories not quite fit together) and to prepare it for the Wattys. I also have plans to soon move all bonus content to a separate book, so I don't have to clog this story with so much extra content, so be on the lookout for that!

I am also planning to eventually publish a story from Tyler's POV, which would feature him and Robin starting to date but also delve deeper into his backstory before eventually writing a proper sequel which would be set after the boys graduate.