Sword, Shield, and Scythe

"Statements"

'Thoughts'

Side Notes

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"So you're in the Ultra Class, too? I guess I shouldn't be surprised. After all, you gave me some of my toughest battles, even beyond Sinnoh," Ash admitted.

Paul smirked. "I suppose I should feel honored being complemented by the Alola Champion, but don't think I've been slacking off since our last battle. I've covered my flaws as a trainer, and I've spent the better part of the last few months teaching myself to work around them. The Normal and Great class were filled with pushovers. Now that I know you're in the Ultra Class, I'm sure I'll be bound to get some real competition."

"But enough on me. The battle gathering is an event set up for people without a battle ticket. Guess its fair to assume you're not in the Ultra Class Tournament?" Paul continued.

"Nah, still not there yet, but you know better than anyone that I'll get there soon enough, especially since I've got a few bones to pick now."

"Bones to pick? That's strange to hear from you, Ketchum, but it's none of my business. Are we gonna get to this battle?" said the trainer in purple.

"Oh right," Ash nearly forgot about his rival's challenge. "Hey Sirfetch'd, you think you can bag this win for me?"

"Sir," His loyal Pokemon complied.

Paul pulled out his Pokedex and made a quick scan.

"Sirfetch'd, the Wild Duck Pokemon, a Fighting type, and the evolved form of Galarian Farfetch'd. Only Farfetch'd that have survived many battles can attain this evolution. When this Pokemon's leak withers, it will retire from combat."

"Interesting catch. I guess I better bring one of the powerhouses for this one," Paul began, "Drapion, stand by for battle!"

The Ogre Scorp Pokemon grappled its claws together and got ready. Ash gulped, remembering how overwhelmingly powerful that tank was in the Sinnoh League, but his Pokemon bolstered his confidence back up with an inspiriting call.

"Sorry for the little delay, but we're ready. Sirfetch'd, go with your best Fury Cutter!"

"Siiiirrrr," Sirfetch'd invigoratingly called out.

"Intercept!" Paul shouted.

Drapion's front claws extended towards Ash's Pokemon, but failed to secure its target as Sirfetch'd maneuvered around them and cuffed a direct hit on Drapion's face, managing to knock Poison type on its back. The Ogre Scorp got up and shook its head to recuperate - now carrying a vexed expression.

"Looks like you've got some fight in you, but don't let the title of 'friendly battle' fool you. You're about to see far more from Drapion and me," said Paul.

"Well how about you show us." Ash hoped to elicit Paul's fighting spirit.

"Cross Poison!"

"Night Slash!"

Drapion crossed its appendages and projected the 'X'-shaped poison attack, to which its opponent reciprocated with a barrage of dark blades. Despite the swift counterattack, Cross Poison merely trounced Night Slash and managed to hoist the Fighting type back. It exploded in midair, and left Sirfetch'd panting on the ground. 

The difference in raw power was made clear to Ash, and he knew they'd have to change up their strategy. From across the field, he could spot his opponent with a proud smirk, which he construed as a disadvantage; Paul wasn't one to express pride from sheer arrogance, at least not solely.