↳ 13

"When aren't we right?" Autumn jokes, winking at Ricky. The Bowen chuckles, relaxing for the first time since the beginning of that conversation.

"Yeah, it's like that scene from the movie where Troy tells his teammates, 'You're my guys, and this is our spam.'" Big Red states, making Autumn bite her lip to avoid laughter that, undoubtedly, would be followed by a fit of giggles.

"When does he say that?" Ricky asks, his expression contorting with confusion as he awaits his best friend's response.

Big Red seems to think for a few seconds, before sitting beside Autumn at the edge of the bed once more – he had stood up while quoting incorrectly Troy's line. "You know, I just realized that my allergist keeps the sound off in the waiting room, and... Maybe I can't read lips."

At this, Autumn starts laughing loudly. Sometimes, Red could be so dorky, and the girl found it adorable. She loved his personality – he was so cute and funny that it was hard not having a good time around him.  For her, he was the red-headed sibling she never had.

﹏﹏﹏

Autumn didn't mean to eavesdrop, she really didn't. If there was one thing she was proud of, it was the fact that she always gave people their privacy when they needed it.

However, even though she knew it was wrong, something inside her prompted her to stay hidden behind the bookshelves, listening to EJ's very private conversation with Nini.

"You're a good person. I don't know if it's because you're a senior or somebody raised you right, but... I wish I had whatever you've got inside of you." Nini speaks softly and Autumn can't help but smile.

The Campbell was delighted EJ had someone that recognized the beauty within him and told him that he was worth it. Despite that, a little part of her couldn't help but wish it was her reassuring him at the moment.

Before Autumn had time to dwell on whatever she was feeling at the moment, Nini's voice brought her back to reality.

"It's like confidence mixed with morals. And a dozen abs." Nini continues, chuckling. "Thanks for being you."

As soon as Autumn heard Nini's footsteps grow more and more distant, she knew she should leave. Yet, EJ abruptly turned the corner of the bookshelf she was hiding behind, spotting her instantly.

"Oh, hey, tulip!" EJ greeted Autumn, a small smile appearing on his face at the mere sight of her. "What are you doing here? Were you... eavesdropping?" He teased.

"Oh, hi J!" The girl exclaimed, startled by his unexpected presence. A faint rose blush covered her cheeks at EJ's accusation, and he completely found it adorable.

"Hum, no, I was just doing some homework here when I, uh, heard you guys talking... I swear I didn't mean to hear anything!" Autumn quickly explains herself, stumbling in her words as her chest is filled with embarrassment by being caught doing something so unlike her.

"Oh? So you heard it?" EJ smirked at her, and Autumn covered her face with her hands, not believing that she was stupid enough to confess that she was, indeed, eavesdropping on their conversation.

The senior laughed – he always found her reactions so cute –, and she finally took her hands away from her face, giving him a small guilty smile.

"Well, if it means anything, what she said is true. You are a good guy, EJ. That's why you have to tell her the truth." Autumn states, her voice quiet so no one else around could hear.  "Not sure about those abs, though."

Her comment seemed to earn another laugh from the boy, causing her to beam proudly. "Why haven't you told her yet?" Autumn questioned him, her expression softening once she saw EJ's gorgeous smile disappear.

EJ sighed as he nodded his head, signaling for her to follow him. They ended up sitting side by side on the stairs near the library's entrance, and after a few minutes of comfortable silence, Autumn placed her hand on EJ's shoulder, encouraging him to speak whenever he was ready.

"I feel really guilty," EJ said, and Autumn sighed, her hand now softly caressing his shoulder.

"I know, J. You shouldn't have stolen her phone. But let me make it clear, that doesn't define you. You are an amazing person, and I'm sure Nini will forgive you as soon as you come clean." The girl said, shifting slightly so now her arm was around his shoulders.

"You're too good for me, you know that?" EJ asked playfully while resting his head affectionally on her shoulder, and Autumn giggled, relieved that he was back to his usual self.

﹏﹏﹏

Autumn was sitting on the little bench in her garden, looking at the flowers as her thoughts swirled around everything that happened since the auditions. The girl was enjoying being a part of the musical, not only because it was a safe space for her, where she could grow as a person and as an actress, but also because it gave her a chance to hang out with her friends.

She never expected to meet such extraordinary new friends in Salt Lake City. From the moment she moved in next to Big Red, him and Ricky always made her feel welcomed.

Then, she met Gina on the first day of school. Gina, too, was new to the city, and they had so much in common. However, many of Autumn's friendships came from participating in the musical.

She got to know Carlos, Seb, Ashlyn, Kourtney, Nini, and the rest of the crew so much during the last week, it was crazy. And, last but definitely not least, there was EJ. He connected to her in ways she never thought possible, and they shared a crazy amount of hobbies.

Autumn already felt like they were all her family. Plus she couldn't wait to share the stage with them, to show the world the best musical version of High School Musical.

A little beep took her out of her thoughts – her phone had a new notification. Autumn grabbed her phone, which was resting on the bench, and unlocked it. The Campbell smiled once she saw it was a text from EJ on Instagram.

𝐄𝐉 🪐
I think I finally figured out how I'll come clean to Nini.

𝐀𝐮𝐭𝐮𝐦𝐧 🌷
And what would that be, J?
Please tell me you're not gonna do something super crazy.

𝐄𝐉 🪐
Me? Pffft, I would never.

𝐀𝐮𝐭𝐮𝐦𝐧 🌷
I remember that one time you told me you once apologized to Ash by taking her to Disneyland.

For a whole week!

𝐄𝐉 🪐
I was 7!!
And, to be fair, she desperately wanted to go.
It was a win-win.

𝐀𝐮𝐭𝐮𝐦𝐧 🌷
7-year-old you was kinda awesome.
 I would be overjoyed if my cousin took me to Paris to apologize for a fight!
Anyway, what's your brilliant idea, wonder boy?

𝐄𝐉 🪐
...
Promise you won't laugh.

𝐀𝐮𝐭𝐮𝐦𝐧 🌷
I won't.
Promise :p.

𝐄𝐉 🪐
[open video]

𝐀𝐮𝐭𝐮𝐦𝐧 🌷
OMG.
You wrote her a song???