Chapter Twenty Three

Five minutes of communication can save a year's worth of turmoil and misunderstanding.

"You can see my penthouse from here," he stated, still looking outside.

"Huh?" I squeaked, completely taken aback, my hands falling to my sides. How could it be his penthouse?

"Yeah, you can see my living room from here," he confirmed, turning around to face me. I stood there in shock, trying to process the realization that he was the one living in the penthouse I had been curious about all along. While there was no romantic attraction between us, I had always wondered about the person residing there.

"So you're the one stalking me," he remarked, breaking the tension with a touch of humor.

"So you're the one stalking me," I responded simultaneously, and we both burst into laughter, relieving the awkwardness of the situation.

"I've seen you a couple of times, peering over," I admitted with a shrug.

"Same here," he confessed.

"So, you didn't know that I live here?" I asked, seeking clarification.

"Nah, I noticed the similarities in the interior when I entered, but I wasn't entirely sure," he explained.

"Oh, I see," I paused for a moment. "Well, I was actually going to ask if you'd like to have some wine instead of coffee. It is Friday night, after all," I suggested, hoping to salvage the evening and enjoy a relaxed conversation together.

"No problem," he replied, and I nodded before heading back into the kitchen, Scout trailing behind me. I grabbed the bottle of Rose wine and poured it into a glass, then made my way back to the living room. There, I found him already seated, taking in the surroundings.

"The interiors are amazing," he commented.

"Thanks, Astri designed it," I replied, handing him the glass of wine before taking a seat beside him. Scout attempted to climb onto the couch, so I scooped him up and settled him on my lap.

"He's cute," he remarked, observing Scout.

"Yeah," I nodded, gently scratching behind Scout's ear as he yawned contentedly.

"You didn't have a plan for Friday night?" I ask sipping my wine.

"Nope" I look down to find Scout asleep, so I excuse myself and pick him up taking him to my room. I lay him down on his bed, put an comforter over his small body and turn around to find Kayden standing at the door looking at my room.

"I wanted to ask you something," I stated, taking a deep breath to gather my thoughts. It was time to confront the past. Kayden nodded, indicating his willingness to listen, and we returned to the living room.

For a while, we sat in silence, each of us sipping our wine, before I finally mustered the courage to speak. "Why... why did you sleep with her right after our breakup? I mean, we had clearly ended our relationship, so you had every right..."