Chapter 56

"I don't think they are home Bucky ... we can visit them some other day ... when I emotionally prepare myself for another one of Pepper's speeches about how I'm destroying Morgan with my existence ..." I kept babbling, feeling my heart rate increase more with every step I took.

Bucky was holding both of my hands, pulling me after him up the wooden porch until we reached the front door.

"Mia!" Bucky turned around as we reached the front door and put his hands on my shoulders. "Calm down! Breathe!" he tried to make me stop hyperventilating and even took a few deep breaths, hoping I would imitate him.

Before I could say anything else, the door opened, reveling Pepper standing on the other side of them. Her arms were folded together on her chest and her eyes were fixed on me.

"See that look? She used to give me that look when I dressed up as a girl version of Tarzan and used the kitchen and living room as my personal jungle." I quickly whispered to Bucky while keeping my eyes on Pepper, trying to force an innocent smile.

Bucky looked down at me with completely confused face expression but after all the time he spent with me, he wasn't even surprised anymore.

Pepper let out a deep breath and shook her head before gestured us to come in. HOWEVER, I think it is important to point out that there was a little, almost unnoticeable, relieved smile on her lips.

"Morgan is upstairs. And I'm making dinner so ... I'll be in the kitchen if by any chance you need me." Pepper said before closing the front door and made her way back to the kitchen.

"That went well." I said sarcastically and turned towards Bucky.

"You go. I'll wait here." he said, making my eyes open widely. "Ohh c'mon! I'm 90% sure she wants to see you." he added while smiling mischievously, then pressed a kiss on my forehead and let go off my hands, making his way to the kitchen as well.

"90% ?!!!" I whispered-yelled after him. In response he just chuckled playfully. Sooo mean.

I took a deep breath and made my way up the stairs while trying to convince myself that Morgan doesn't entirely despise me for unintentionally giving her another trauma to live with.

I slightly shook a thin string that was connected to a small, silver bell. Morgan and I made this a while ago since knocking is too ordinary.

The little bell made the ringing sound, letting Morgan know that someone was coming in her room. I put my hand on the doorknob, debating if this was the moment when I run away to avoid a problem instead of dealing with it.

Then I heard barking. I smiled widely as I realised that I'm not just about to see Morgan. Sprinkles was also here, hopefully still remembering me.

As I opened the door, my fluffy monster jumped off the bed and ran towards me with his full speed, jumping up as if he actually wanted to hug me. Quickly I pressed a kiss on his head and stroked the back of his ears. I kneeled down, letting him lick my face as a greeting.

Then I looked up, noticing a little girl sitting down by her desk.

"Hi Maggie." I said carefully before standing up again. I could feel my heart collapse as she didn't even turn around.

"The Queen of Chipmunks?" I added, hoping to get any kind of a reaction. Sprinkles clearly realised that this situation was not the fun kind so he decided to run downstairs. I wonder who he learned that from ...

I made a pop sound with my cheeks and made my way around her room, observing the drawings that were tapped on the walls. I could tell that her artistic skills were improving, making me glance at her proudly.