It was the first time he shared his thought for the future with someone

"Ri~vaille~!" she chirped when she peeked inside his office. She glanced everywhere but found no sign of the petite French. "Not here, is he?" she said to herself before she closed the door and went upstairs.

She knew his favorite place. Despite everything, she was observant. If there was anywhere he would be fond of it would be the rooftop. The view was great there and on top of all, it was the place where the freshly washed clothings were hung. Rivaille was fond of the mixed smell of detergent and fresh air there.

When she finally reached the rooftop she grinned at her perfect theory. Surely, Rivaille was there, sitting on the ground-she was pretty sure he had cleaned that spot first before sitting-while enjoying the wind. Even the humanity's strongest soldier needed peaceful moments at times.

She thought of surprising him from behind but before she could do so, he spoke up,

"Don't. You. Dare. Shitty glasses..."

She pouted. Before she realized it, shitty glasses had become her nickname.

"How did you know I'm here?"

"Your shitty smell is contaminating the fresh air," he said, still hadn't turned around. His lips slightly twisted upward-he only did it because he knew she couldn't see him.

"You're so cold! What the hell! Am I really that smelly? I'm pretty sure I took a bath two days ago!"

"You're supposed to take baths everyday-that aside, why are you here?" he finally turned around, showing her his usual bored expression.

She grinned. She had her hands behind her and he knew she was hiding something. "Ta-da!" she showed him a book she had been hiding. When Rivaille raised a brow, she quickly spoke up "This is a book from my ancestors' age! It's full of the pictures of the outside world! Let's read it together!" she beamed.

After sending her an uninterested look, he returned to gaze at the horizon.

"What-Rivaille, you don't want to see how the outside world looks like?" Hanji whined, seating herself beside him and his eye twitched at the fact that she didn't even bother to brush off the dirt before sitting there.

"I don't."

"Why?" she frowned.

"Because..." he looked at her, seeing her annoyed expression "...I can see it once I slay all the Titans, after I deliver the wishes of my fallen soldiers."

Her eyes widened.

And so did her grin.

"You know what, Rivaille? You're a very nice guy," she poked her cheek and earned a glare from him. She ignored his death glare. She was used to it.

"I am not."

"Yeah, yeah, whatever you say."

"I'm being serious here, shitty glasses."

"Sure."

"I don't like your answer-"

"By the way, Rivaille!" she cut him off. "I mean, your purpose is fine and all, but you're a bit too gloomy. For me, my purpose of fighting would be because I want to see the wonders of the world with my own eyes!" she beamed again, seeing straight to the horizon, as if imagining how it would be if she were to be outside the walls.