She was his first love..

"But then there will be no purpose for the Scouting Legion any longer. We will get disbanded and go our separate ways. Have you thought of what you will do after everything's over, Rivaille? You know, start a family and live peacefully or something. We're almost 30 now!"

"I... never thought of that before. How about you? Are you going to get married?"

"Um... Maybe no?" she laughed "I just want to explore the world and learn new things! The burning water, the land of ice, the snowfields of sand... I mean, I'm sure there are many things still unknown to us out there-I'm not a science-freak, mind you-and I'm not sure if my family can follow me everyhwere, that's if I ever want to start one. Women are bound to family, after all. I can no longer be free."

"I don't think I want to start a family either."

"You can explore the world like me, then!"

"That means I'll follow you."

"Eh? Seriously?!" her eyes wide as she blinked in utter shock.

"What? You don't like the idea?"

She shook her head violently, "YES, I LIKE IT!" she then beamed again for the umpteenth time of the day. He knew he couldn't find a smile like this everywhere in the Scouting Legion. Seeing her was one of his ways to cheer up.

"Then, it's a promise! Until then, we have to both stay alive!" she held out her pinky.

He looked at it.

"C'mon! Just this once! Be childish!"

He sighed, "Just this once," he said as he hooked his pinky around hers.

"We'll explore the world together! I'm so excited I'll do my best even more that ever!" she slightly pumped her fists.

"Just don't overwork yourself."

"I won't! Have I ever?"

"Always."

"Do I?"

"Stop asking."

She laughed and the two of them looked at the horizon again.

His hand slightly brushed hers. She had her eyes closed as she smiled and enjoyed the wind, too busy to notice. He held her hand in his, just to feel her warmth, and to make sure she was alive. He had had enough of touching the cold bodies of his fallen soldiers. Repeatedly, he had touched their hand, from the moment they were dying until the moment of their death. It was fearsome-to hold onto someone as they died.

He just didn't want her to lose her warmth like them.

.