It was the first time he felt unbelieveably upset over a broken promise

"Hanji, come back!" he shouted almost desperately as he saw her flew over to Eren's Titan form. He was dangerous-he still couldn't control his Titan form. From what he had heard before, Eren's Titan form had almost hit Mikasa Ackerman, his own adoptive sister, to her death. No one was an exception once he had lost control.

"You stay there and defend everyone from the Titans! I'm gonna use this tranquilizer on Eren so we can pull him out!" she said with a grin.

He gritted his teeth.

He needed to stay calm.

If he were to panic right there, his soldiers wouldn't feel at ease.

.

.

.

"-Eren, no!"

It was Mikasa's voice, Rivaille knew. The quiet girl rarely shouted and he knew something really bad had happened if she ever did. From his position he could see the fallen form of Eren's Titan. He didn't want to assume the worst just yet. After slaying the last three Titans, he went to where Eren's Titan was.

"...Ackerman."

Mikasa jumped when her name was called.

"Corporal..." she whispered lifelessly. In her arms was the sleeping form of Eren Jaeger. He assumed that had Hanji successfully injected the tranquilizer into him.

"I take it Eren is safe?"

Mikasa nodded, a little too stiffly for his taste.

He looked around.

"Where's Hanji?" he asked.

Mikasa lowered her head, refusing to look him in the eyes. He sensed something really bad. Mikasa slowly pointed at the tree behind them.

"She is resting there."

He nodded and went there. He went around the tree and found her lying on the ground-rare peaceful complexion on her face-green Scouting Legion cloak still worn. What didn't fit his taste was the fact that she was surrounded by a pool of blood. He then noticed that she was slightly paler than usual. He couldn't see wound anywhere but he was sure that blood was hers.

His hand slowly reached her face.

She wasn't warm.

No.

He wanted her warm.

"Oi, Hanji..." he slightly shook her.

Very slowly, her eyes fluttered open. His heart-which had clenched for a while-finally loosened up. Her pale lips formed a shaky smile despite her condition.

"Hey, Rivaille, doing well?" she asked.

"What are you doing sleeping here? We're going home."

"So... it means everyone's safe?"

"Most of them. I wouldn't say all."

"How many of them fall?"

"A few. Less than five people this time."

"I see..."

Before he realized, the soldiers had surrounded them-some of them had started crying and some of them looked hopeless. He knew what was happening but his mind refused to acknowledge the situation. He knew she was dying. But she promised they would stay alive until it's all over.

It made him so upset he wanted to kill something.

"Rivaille... Are you mad at me?"

"Why do you ask?"

"You always make that face... whenever you're mad at me," she forced a smile. "I'm sorry I didn't listen to you. But... if I did, there will be more soldiers to fall this time. I know you hate seeing your comrades die. You're just that kind..."

"Idiot. Are you..." he gritted his teeth "Are you going to say that it's okay for you to die? Do you think I would like to see you die instead?"

"No, I didn't mean that!" she coughed, blood coming out of her mouth and other soldiers cried in shock. She covered her eyes with her arm and grinned, "So this is how it feels to die. I feel like my consciousness is fading... I'm feeling light-headed too... Rivaille, can you memorize what I say and write them in a document? I'd like to read it later."

"Who's going to read it, your ghost?" he spat.

"Maybe. But as a scientist I don't really believe in the existence of ghosts."

"I'm sorry, Rivaille..." she said, her smile quivered.

He clenched his fists, not ready for this. She had always been there beside him he had almost forgot she could die. She was always there, to comfort him after the death of comrades. She was always there, even after numerous soldiers were falling right before his eyes. He was so used to her presence he couldn't imagine his life with her gone.

"...goodbye."

Rivaille felt his world crumbled.

He didn't want to lose her.

He would need time to get up and walk again with no one to share the pain and sadness with.

He never thought it would be so painful to lose her.

" Hanji.." He shook her gently.

There was no reply and he could hear some of the soldiers crying louder, probably members of the Hanji squad, he no longer cared.