Chapter 27: Welcome to Elections... You're Not Welcome.

I haven't drunk my coffee yet.

You were standing alone, everything dark around you. There was an uncanny feeling of anxiety, fear, and betrayal you couldn't shake as you stared at four colorful blobs in front of you, your vision pulsing in and out of fuzziness. Pressure was building in your throat, making you lungs heave and your eyes tear up. Suddenly, you felt the pressure explode in starbursts of panic, colored with purple and red and gold. Something blasted into your chest with the force of a thousand suns, and you fell backward.

Bubbles exploded around you as you sank deeper into the night-black water, the rapidly shrinking light moving further and further away. The water stung like acid, eating away at you. You screamed, but no sound came out, and the water rushed in, burning everything inside you as it ran down your throat into your lungs.

The pain blossomed in your chest, and you were suddenly in a room of red and black. Flashes of silver moved around you, and you felt the burning in your stomach increase until you sank to the floor. You struggled to get up, but it was as if something were pinning you down. You thrashed and screamed-

And sat up, drenched in sweat, the world spinning around you. Your stomach heaved as you clutched your head, trying to stop yourself from throwing up. Finally, your breathing slowed, and your headache faded.

Standing up, you rummaged through your chests until you pulled out your last package of coffee and a mug. As you waited for the coffee to brew, you flopped on your cot and tried to make sense of your dreams.

They were just nightmares, right? But they felt- I don't know, different? Like really, really, really old memories.

Your coffee machine dinged, and you poured the caffeinated liquid into your cup before pushing your tent flap aside, stepping outside, and being greeted with a large stone van.

"Good morning, you ugly motherf***er," you grumbled at the cameravan, leaning against the thing. Sipping your coffee, you watched the sun rise. The sky was painted in colors eerily matching the ones from your dream: purple, gold, and blood red.

You were about halfway through your coffee when an excited Fundy ran up, nearly crashing into you.

"Morning Shadow! I'm so f***ing NERVOUS about today, aren't you?"

"Nervous? Why wou- OH!" you exclaimed, remembering the date. "That's right- it's the 22nd, Election Day!"

"Pfffffft, how'd you forget?" Fundy asked, leaning on the van beside you.

"Okay, Fox-boy. I had the STRANGEST dreams last night, AND I haven't finished my coffee yet. Earth-shattering events can happen after I wake up. Besides, I was enjoying my ignorance. Now, my nerves are like JACK RABBITS and I am minorly terrified that the world maybemightenddependingonwhowinstheelection. Soooooo, anything else you want to talk about, child?"

Fundy blinked. Not even a fast one, but the reeeeeeeeeeeeally slow ones that are really annoying to people who have ZERO FLIPPING PATIENCE. Like you. You sipped your coffee again and scowled at him over the rim of the mug.

"What about you?" you said, turning your mug over and chugging the rest of the coffee, "Aren't you terrified?"

Fundy snorted. "HA AS IF! Nah, Niki and I have a p-l-a-n."

"WHY THE F***ING HELL DOES EVERYONE IN THIS GODDAMN COUNTRY HAVE A PLAN?" You screamed at the top of your lungs. "FUNDY, YOU BETTER F***ING TELL ME YOURS ISN'T VOTING FRAUD, YOU SON OF A B**** ."

Fundy's ears were pinned back and his tail was bushed as he watched your outburst. "Well.... Maybe?"

"FUNDY."