Chapter 2 - Change of Heart

Cleric: "Sweet princess, you've had an eventful day, haven't you?"

I sat up and look around, noticing I was in a sort of church. I'm lying in a coffin. The man speaking to me offered me his hand to stand up. I took it, cautiously.

Y/N: "Who are you? What happened?"

Cleric: "I am the demon cleric. Quilly told me you escaped your cell and fell into magma."

Y/N: "Why did you revive me?"

Cleric: "Well, you're valuable, princess."

Y/N: "I'm a bargaining tool..."

Cleric: "You're our hostage. Nothing more, nothing less. Despite what you might have heard about us, we take care of our hostages."

Y/N: "..."

Cleric: "Come. I'll take you back to your cell."

About halfway back to my cell, we ran into the demon king.

Demon King: "Princess? What are you doing out of your cell?"

Cleric: "My demon liege, she escaped... and fell into magma... I revived her only moments ago."

He sighed.

Demon King: "I'll take her from here."

Cleric: "Yes, sir."

He left us along. I stared at him with my arms crossed.

Demon King: "Come on then."

I rolled my eyes and walked alongside him back to my cell. He let me in and locked the door.

Demon King: "What are you? Some kind of dummy dumb?"

Y/N: "Excuse me?!"

Demon King: "If you didn't escape from your cell, you wouldn't have found magma and died!"

Y/N: "I have to warn the other princesses!"

Demon King: "Good luck with that! You couldn't even find the exit! Plus the nearest human town is still too far away!"

Y/N: "Hmph!"

He looked down and scratched the back of his neck.

Demon King: "Look, I'm sorry I snapped at you earlier."

My eyes widened. Is the demon king really apologising to me?

Y/N: "R-really?"

Demon King: "Yes. Now, please stay in your cell...... where it's safe."

He left. I flopped onto my bed and hugged my pillow.

Y/T: 'He really meant that. He wants me to be safe. But he's a demon. Come to think of it... all the demons I have met so far have been kind to me.'

I spent a good long while thinking about what Quilly said to me.

Y/T: 'Maybe... just maybe... I should give them a chance...'

Scissors Sorcerer: "Princess, I've come to collect your dishes. Oh, you're awake. Then I believe this is our first meeting. How do. You can call me Scissors."

Y/N: "Pleasure."

Scissors: "Forgive me if I'm being too bold, but may I ask, why you want to escape so bad? I understand that you must miss your family, but I sense there's more to it."

Y/N: "... I thought I knew... now I'm not so sure... I mean, you seem kind... for a demon."

Scissors: "You see, dear heart, humans fear us before they even get to know us. You seem different though. I hope we can be friends!"

Y/T: 'Friends... hm...'

Scissors: "Well, I'll be off. See you later."

Y/N: "Goodbye."