Chapter 14

Danny

Another hockey practice with my boyfriend has come and gone.

Theo is an outstanding hockey player. I've watched him trip over his own feet at school, but he's so graceful on ice.

It's at this moment that we glide into the locker room that I realize just how fucking lucky I've been these last couple of weeks.

The day after Christmas, we hit up the arcade again, and he beat me at air hockey....cause I didn't use my shifter powers. He was so proud of himself, but he didn't really get cocky. Instead, he told me it was nice to be with someone that wasn't always trying to win....like he could just have fun.

We made out pretty hard in the car that night.

I got the courage to come out to Scott, and he was....actually happy for me. He and Theo hit it off when we went skating on New Year with Bryce and their girlfriends. Watching Theo skate circles around Scott made my day, but seeing him be proud of himself made me happier. I was just excited to be out to my closest friends, even if Megan and Lisa thought we were third wheels.

That's what I love about him. He's smart and has skills, but he'd rather be a good person than knock someone down. However, he's opened up more about his Dad, and I know there's more to the stories, but it burns me up thinking about him getting hurt.

As he pulls off his practice Jersey, I spot one of those wounds from his past, a foot-long scar that runs across his back. He told me he got it once for breaking some special remote his Dad owned. My parents will yell at us until the world ends, but they've never touched us like that. I really can't imagine how he survived.

I lean over to him and whisper, "what's your plan tonight?"

He turns back and adjusts his shirt over his tan chest. Then, he just smiles, "helping Bryce study for English."

I turn to my FORMER best friend, who just grins and says, "sorry. Brenden and I called him at lunch."

"Ughh, this is dumb. The one Friday night this month, we don't have a game. We should do something fun," I say to the three of them.

Coach overhears this and is quick to shout, "none of you idiots will do anything tonight. Be here at 8 am sharp for the bus to Portland."

Theo shakes his head and slings his bag over his head, "I think it's weird that we're playing this tournament. I mean, my old school was there last year."

Bryce shrugs, "it's weird to think we were in the same arena even if we didn't play each other."

Theo and I nod for different reasons. His team ended up winning the 4A tournament, and we got dinged out in the semi-finals for 3A.

Bryce claps me on the back, "come over tonight. We can all study, and then you two can "study" up in Theo's room.

I smile and catch Theo giving me a pleading look. I sigh out cause it's not what I wanted, but it's halfway there. "Ok. Let me text my Dad, and I'll be there." 

The cousins part ways, and Brendan and I head to our cars. He clears his throat, "when's Theo gonna tell Sheriff Collins you two are dating?"

I shrug and toss my hockey bag in the back seat, "that's Theo's business, but hopefully soon." I know he's scared of the reaction, but I really don't think it'll be bad.

******
"Theo! We can't do this," I say in a hushed whisper. He kisses my neck more, and I just moan out, "Come on, babe."

He just rolls his eyes and keeps going, "you. Know. You. Like. It," he says between kisses.