Chapter 24

Theo-

"Oh my god, Theo. just open it," groans Bryce as we finish cleaning out our locker.

"I don't want to. I never want to open my report cards," I say back and tuck the envelope into my yearbook.

"Ugh," he says and closes the locker for the last time. "You're such a baby. You know you got Straight A's."

He's right. I know I did. Unless my brain melted out of my ears during finals. I nod, "it's fine. Uncle Mason'll check the website tonight and just tell me."

Bryce nudges me in the shoulder, "baby. Come on, let's find Mandy."

The last day of school here has a special tradition where the seniors all leave early, and the 8th graders from the middle school come in at the end of the assembly. It's their welcome ceremony. So next year, Mandy, Jackson, Bryce, and I will all be in high school together. Just one year for the four of us to cause mayhem.

We find the little princess in the commons, surrounded by friends. Although all three of my cousins are fantastic at making friends and being well-liked, it's kind of annoying.

She smiles at our arrival, and her friends part for us. "This place is so cool," she says with a smile, and her friends all nod. "I think this is where we'll all hang out for lunch." They nod again. The little queen bee is staking out her kingdom.

"That sounds like fun," says Bryce with a fake smile. "Is your stuff in the car?" She nods. "Good cause we're out of here at 12 on the dot."

"Yeah. Yeah," says Mandy with a wave and slides off the table. "We're gonna check out stuff."

"Twelve on the dot," he shouts and turns to me. "She knows Dad wants to leave on time, right?"

I shrug, "has she met your Dad before?"

He gives me a painful eye roll and punches my shoulder. He smiles as he pulls out his phone, probably texting Jackson the same orders. Like Bryce, I'm also excited for today; Mama's coming up today, and then we're all heading to Yellowstone and a stop at Jenny Lake. My first real trip, and I can't wait, even if I won't see Danny for two whole weeks.

I flex my left hand and stretch my fingers. Bryce notices and asks the question on his mind, "how's your hand?"

"It's good," I say with a smile. "It's really good. Just not use to it being out in the real world, you know."

He nods and looks back at his phone for a second. Doctor Morgan, who it turns out is also a wolf, suggested that my hand stay in the cast for an extra two weeks. Meaning it was freed from its prison last week. I had three weeks to go when everything happened with Chris, and Dr. Morgan was concerned that all that running around might have held up my healing. So now, I have my physical therapy moves that I need to do twice a day, and I'll be back to normal.

Bryce looks up from his phone and smiles at something. I'm about to turn around when a pair of arms wrap around me. "Hey, sexy boyfriend," whispers Danny in my ear.

I turn around and see Megan and Brenden in tow, and Bryce goes up to his girlfriend.

"I'm gonna miss you," says Danny with a cute puppy dog face. "Are you gonna miss me?"

This time I roll my eyes at him. "Duh, but I am looking forward to seeing it all. But of course, I'll miss my boyfriend."

He rolls his head around, looking cute, "good. Now kiss me."

I give him his prize, and when we pull apart, he looks me in the eyes and gently rubs the scar on my cheek.

"Danny. Stop it," I snap and push him back.

"Hey. Hey. I like it. It's cute," he says with a grin.

"I know. You say that all the time," I sigh as we all start walking out the front doors.

Mr. Madison says it would've healed if the bite had worked. I'm not a shifter, but Danny said when I turn 18, I can start that process. It's not an overnight thing, but we can talk about it.

"And I'll say it a million more times," says Danny as he proudly puts his arm around me. "Now, let's get you to the car so you can abandon me for the WHOLE SUMMER."

"Just two weeks," I say with a smile. He gives me a side glance as I touch my cheek again.

*****

"Seems like a good school," says the woman as she watches the students head out. The last day of school energy has filled the hallways.

"Mmhmm," says the man.

The woman shakes her head, "look, gay kids. Happy and healthy. Jason'll like it here."

"Katie! Don't point. We don't want to draw unwanted attention," snaps the man.

"Whatever," sighs Katie.

Before she can say more, they are interrupted by the school principal, a tall bald man with a growing belly. "Mr. and Mrs. Powers. Thank you for waiting for me. Last day of school has me running all over."

The woman extends her hand, "Miss. Powers. Kate Powers. This is my brother Malcolm."

The principal blushes at the mistake, "my apologies."

"No worries," says Malcolm. "We were enjoying the scene. The kids all look really happy."

"Yes. I'm happy to see some LGBT presence," says Katie with a head nod to a group of kids.

The Principal looks in that direction and turns back, "ah yes. We pride ourselves on being inclusive. We have a couple of clubs dedicated to LGBT+ kids. You both have kids that'll attend Astoria, right?"

Malcolm nods, "my sons Jason and Tyson, and Katie's son Oliver. Senior and two Juniors."

"Well, let me give you the tour, and we can figure out what they'll like most about our school. What's bringing you folks to Oregon," asks the Principal.

"Change of pace from the Twin Cities," says Malcolm.

"Principal Forest!!!!" Shouts a young girl.

"I'll be right back. I'm sorry," says the Principal. The pair of adults nod and gesture for him to go. The school is practically empty now except for a few students running out.

Kate turns to her brother, "so you think this town has a big shifter population?"

"100% they have some, but no clues on the population size," says Malcolm. "That Omega was killing people up and down the coast, and it was spotted here by a lot of people, and now it's been about four weeks since the last attacks."

"Doesn't mean a shifter got him," says Kate with a shrug.

"Something got it. And we need to get them," he says to his sister. "Don't forget the family motto."

"Leave no question unanswered," says the sister with a smile.

"Yup," says Malcolm. "Something happened, and I want to know what."

"The boys will understand," says Kate.

"They better," says Malcolm. He puts on a smile as the Principal comes back.