Initiation

Chapter 4 – Initiation

Shamir’s POV

        “Do you, Civia, Rider of Olena the White Dragon, pledge to protect this dragon society with your very life?” I spoke the words with dread. If she accepted every term, every place given to her she would be burdened with the lives of an entire species. To make it worse it was a species that had been struggling to grow in the past few hundred years.

        “I do.” Her voice was firm and spoke of the truth in her heart.

        “Are you willing to give everything up, your past, your present, and your future, to become the ruler of The Dragon Kingdom?” This particular question struck a chord deep in my heart. If she was thinking along the same lines as I was then she might believe that she was giving up a future with me. But that was what she wanted wasn’t it? She had run away from me at the mention of marriage. She had apologized for hurting me, but also said she didn’t want to marry.

        “I am.” Her voice was softer this time, giving away a small fear she had held in her heart. Perhaps she did want to have a future with me.

        “If there is to be a war, as is prophesied, will you be the first to ride into battle to fight for your kingdom?” The very thought of her putting her life on the line scared me, but there wasn’t anything I could do about it. Civia wanted to take her place I had so foolishly pushed upon her. I knew she wasn’t ready to take this position, and yet in my anger I fought for the one thing I didn’t want; her to be unsafe. Yes, in this position she would have the entire kingdom protecting her, and she would gain more powers as a Rider, but she would also have to risk her life for every one of her people’s if it came to it, and it most certainly would.

        “I will fight for this people ‘til my last breath has been breathed.”

        A chorus of approval went through the large crowd around us. Everyone had attended the ceremony in which Civia would be crowned Queen of Dragons, as was the custom. If the people did not approve of her answers she would be deemed unfit for ruling. The sound of approval was both refreshing and dreadful. With it, Civia was most surely going to take on a role that was far too much for her to handle on her own.

        “Do you solemnly swear that you will do everything in your power to provide for your people? If there is a drought will you be the last to take water? If there is a famine will you be the first to fall ill? If there is a shortage of food will you be the last at the dinner table?”

        Everything was silent in the Royal Court room as Civia repeated every sentence in her mind. The people accepted that she went over it in her head, but they also waited apprehensively for her answer.

        Finally she nodded. “I solemnly swear to provide for this people to the best of my ability. If there is a drought I will find them more water before I take a drink myself. If there is to be a famine I will protect my people until I have no strength left to protect. If there is a food shortage I will hunt for food myself until there is a feast set on their tables.”

        It was clear the people were satisfied with her answer.

        Turning away from Civia, I faced Olena. “Olena, as the Dragon of Civia, do you swear to be at her side, helping her with every decision made, until there is no decision left to be made?”

        I already knew what her answer would be, everyone did, but it still had to be asked for the ceremony to be able to continue.

        “I have felt as if I knew Civia my entire life and I will not abandon her now. Where she goes I will go. What she decides I will help decide.”