5 | C-52

"Come on, Ellie!" Actuaries teased, "You're moving slower than Atticus!"

Blocking a powerful swing, she said between gritted teeth, "Am not!"

Atticus threw a half-eaten milo * at his siblings, "Hey!"

Actuaries laughed, but it wasn't the kind laugh Elbereth was used to hearing, "You wouldn't be dead if you were faster."

Her stance faltered at his words, "What..."

Her oldest brother looked at her with a grimace, eyes filled with hatred, "We would've been alive if you had done something," He started attacking faster, forcing her back, "Everyone is dead because of you!"

failing to block his next blow, he disarmed her and positioned his sword over her heart, "And you'll be dead with us."

He thrusted the sword in her heart-

She didn't wake up with a gasp, but rather a soft movement behind her eyelids. From what she could feel, she was horizontal but her back had no contact with a surface. Her hands and legs were enclosed in big metal chains and were doing a number on her shoulder. Opening her eyes, she found herself in a Skrull ship, surrendered by them but her conscious state had gone noticed in favor of them looking at readings on a screen.

In the middle of the room, she found Vers being held up in an upside-down vertical state, being supported by chains like her. Unlike her, however, there were twirls of something connected to her head, if Elbereth were to guess, she would say they were some kind of mind-reading twirls. Vers' eyes opened

"Do we have any information we can act on?" The Skrull leader said to the others while walking around the room.

Another one answered, "Just that Lawson was somewhere on planet C-53."

C-53 was by far the most simple planet out there. They had yet to develop their technology to communicate with other planets and their Outerspace transportation was limited to their moon. Seeing how they had only achieved that a few decades ago, Elbereth had no hope of them doing anything impressive for another couple of centuries. Of course, they had some interesting stuff going there as well, like the appearance of the tesseract a few years back and-

Yeah, that was it. C-53 is not a planet Elbereth has ever planned on going to.

But fate had other plans because apparently their on their way to C-53.

"Then, dig, dig, dig, deeper," The leader ordered frustratedly, not being able to find whatever they were looking for-

"Lawson is our link to that light-speed engine!"

-which is the light-speed engine.

Knowing her friend, Elbereth watched as the cuffs on Vers' hand started to glow red.