Chapter Five

The pain was in my eyes and my head. I blinked a few times and it was gone. For Assante, it wasn't that easy. He snapped something in Italian and stumbled back, clutching his face with wide eyes.

Even his yelling and cursing was familiar.

But I needed to hear it. I'd longed for something other than an easy going smile.

"Fucking—" He drifted off and clutched the bridge of his nose, a deep, guttural sound coming from his throat as he sought to regain himself. "You," He said, pointing at me in accusation. "Haven't changed at all."

Falling back into myself was so much easier than being new Charlie.

I needed that.

"You haven't either," I said indignantly. "You're still barging into places you don't belong and expecting me to bend to your will."

"Ah, so you're done playing dumb now?" I rolled my eyes. It was unnerving to know how easy it was to fall into the same old. "And it's hardly barging in if you leave the door unlocked. Stupid woman. You know better."

I did. But this morning had been a reverie. Already it felt like a far off dream.

"You are so lucky it's me here and not some random psycho off the streets."

I scoffed. "I'd take the psycho over you."

A psycho would just kill me. This man had me tied down to my own kitchen chair.

"Your attitude certainly hasn't changed."

"Your whole get-up's the same. Look at me trying to live a normal life and look at you. Let me guess. You're here to kidnap me and hold me hostage."

"You weren't a hostage in the end."

"That's bullshit."

He gave me an unimpressed look.

"Stop fucking about and kiss me properly. You owe me this much after the hell you've put me through."

For some reason, I doubted prison would've been much of a hell for someone like him. I'd remarked on it before. Lorenzo Assante didn't need fancy jewels or expensive clothing to have people know who he was. There was just something about him that demanded the respect of his peers.

His presence spoke of power and strength.

"I owe you nothing," I snapped back. "It was you that kept me from my home, locked up in your fancy mansion. You made me watch things I will never unsee. You've put me through more shit than anyone I've ever known."

Needless to say, the new Charlie hadn't stuck around for long. He would have pulverised her.

"You sold me out to the police," He shot back. "Maybe I could have dealt with the shit you pulled at the ball where you dragged other people down, but not me. Mi hai tradito. You waited to throw me under the bus."

That spark of anger shot through his eyes. He'd reminded himself of my 'sins'.

"Don't pretend you don't understand. I had my reasons."

"Reasons!" He pointed the gun at me waveringly, shaking it for emphasis. "I was going to give it all up for you!"

"I didn't ask you to give anything up for me. All I ever asked was for you to let me go."

"How was I supposed to let you go when I loved you?" I pretended not to notice his past tense. "The minute you walked out of those doors, people would've come for you. Once you become involved with the mafia, the only way out is death."