Chapter Twenty-Seven

The parlour room was the first room I ever really saw in the Assante mansion. Three men had chained me to the chair in the centre of the room as the rest of the mafia filed their way in. I remembered the fear and the uncertainty. They were going to use me as their cover story- their excuse for being three days late back from what should've been a simple, easy mission.

It was also the first time I ever saw somebody die. There was a man called Daniel, who took me from my home. A nod from Assante had someone slicing his throat open.

Then, I'd been alone with two men I'd never met before and interrogated.

It was weird to think I was now that man's wife. That I now had free reign over this mansion. I could go wherever I wanted- do whatever I wanted- and nobody could stop me.

At midday, I sat at the main table in the centre of the room facing the bar and the sofas as mafia members and wannabe mafia members made their way into the room. I glanced down at the new engagement ring on my finger and smiled. Technically, we were already married, but it felt like we were doing something right this time.

We trusted each other, for starters. Plus, this wedding wouldn't be built on the foundation of lies.

That had to make for a good start.

"I recognise some of these faces," I said quietly, speaking to the mafia boss that sat beside me. "Have they just been waiting for you to come back for the last three years?"

"Some have been waiting," He explained. "Others joined different mafias, but their loyalty lies with this one."

"So they've just come back as if nothing ever happened?"

"Yes."

He'd once told me the mafia was built on loyalty.

Now, I was really starting to see it.

I couldn't put any names to the faces I recognised- all of them were dead- but I'd definitely seen a lot of these men before.

Some came with their wives and girlfriends. Others came alone.

As I contemplated this, Turtle arrived, staring about the place in awe. This was the life he'd dreamed of. I imagined this was quite a lot to take in.

"Capo," He said in greeting, a series of files held tightly in his hand. He turned that respectful smile over to me. "Signora."

"Hi Turtle."

"It looks like just about everyone is here now. Everyone has been accounted for and checked for weapons. None of them are armed."

"Good," Assante said. "Have their faces all been recorded on the system?"

"Yes. Everything you asked for has been done."

Lorenzo smirked.

It was clear Turtle would be taking up what was once Kinsey's position- the mafia underboss. I was happy for him, in a weird way. So maybe this was a super dangerous, super horrible life to live in—but this was still the life he'd been dreaming of.

To each their own I suppose.

"I have the information you asked for," Turtle added, eyes meeting Enzo's. "It's all been copied down into here."

He dropped the files onto the hardwood table and slid it across. When it landed in front of him, I raised an eyebrow and grabbed it. Assured by Assante's lack of panic as I touched it, I pulled it closer and grabbed it.

"If that's all sir, I'm going to go get a drink now."

"Do whatever you please Turtle."

The mafia boss' eyes were on me.