Chapter Nineteen

When the boat docked in France, there were already people stood around the docks waiting for us. More specifically, Lorenzo Assante—their Boss. His casual, easy-going smiles were long gone now. I watched him adopt business mode. His looks became hard, his eyebrows furrowing in that permanent looking frown of his.

Had I not seen it happen so many times before, it might've been scary.

"Capo," One man said, rushing forwards to greet him. "I hope that your travels were well."

"They were."

"Good. Can I take your bags sir?"

Assante handed him his duffel bag. "And yours, signora. Can I take your bags?"

I let him grab my suitcase and muttered a quiet thanks.

Turtle wobbled to the ground behind us, where he glanced around in curiosity. The people gathered before us were probably his first real look into the mafia.

Thus far, I hadn't seen anyone that I recognised.

"Are these people all new?" I asked Assante.

He didn't look at me as he answered. His eyes were busy scanning the area for a threat. "Some are new. Most people are old." He took me by my arm. "You might not be familiar with them, but they're all aware of you."

Wow. That was comforting.

"None of them will do you any harm," He assured me, as if I was actually going to believe that. In his world, it was best to assume that everyone was out to get me.

I hooked my hand through his arm.

"How long will we be in France for?"

"We'll stay the night in a hotel tonight. I have a meeting, so we'll have to settle in. Tomorrow, we fly out to Italy."

"Who's your meeting with?"

"An old friend," He answered flippantly.

So he wasn't going to tell me.

I couldn't say that I was surprised.

He wanted me to tell him everything but he'd never return the favour.

Ahead of us, there was a green jeep. I watched the man from before load our things into the back. I was just glad it wasn't a black SUV. The last thing I needed right now was another mental breakdown.

I had too much to think about.

If Assante was going to keep his secrets, then I ought to keep a few of my own. I needed to pull back a bit. I was getting dragged back into this life too quickly. I needed to remember where I was from and who I was before him.

There were more things at stake here. Ava, for starters. I needed to pull whatever strings I could to keep her and Katia safe, even if Ava wasn't going to buy any of this. She was still important to me and I owed her this.

Then there was who I am. I wasn't by any means a Saint, but I didn't like to think of myself as a bad person. Assante and this life were corrupting me. I needed to remember my values and morals. I needed to hold onto the person I was without him.

This life was too easy to get lost in.

"You've gone quiet," Lorenzo acknowledged, sparing me a side glance as we walked. "That's very unlike you."

"I'm just thinking."

"Penny for your thoughts?"

It was petty, but I said it anyway. "I was just thinking of an old friend. You don't have to worry about it."