MISCONCEPTIONS ABOUT ASHOORA

Above discussion undoubtedly shows the importance and virtues of the day of Ashura as it is a day of Allah’s blessings and it is confirmed Sunnah to observe fast on this day. However, there are some misconceptions about the day of Ashura that have managed to find their way into the minds of some Muslims. Some very common misconceptions and superstitions are:

  1- Prophet Adam (A.S.) was created by Allah on this day.

2- Prophet Ibrahim (A.S.) was born on 10th of Muharram.

3- Prophet Adam’s (A.S.) repentance was accepted by Allah on this day.

4- Day of Judgement will take place on Friday, 10th of Muharram.

5- Whoever takes bath on 10th of Muharram will never get ill.

6- One who puts kohl in his eyes on this day will not suffer from any eye disease.

7- Some people say that it is Sunnah to prepare a particular type of meal on this particular day and then distribute it.

8- Many Muslims don’t get married (Nikkah) during the month of Muharram as they think that it is an unlucky month.

Nothing has been reported in any Sahih Hadith from the Prophet (S.A.W.) or from his Companions (R.A.) about any of the above-mentioned incidents. Even, none of the four Imams encouraged or recommended such things. Not even a single reliable Islamic Scholars has narrated anything like this. So all these are just myths and nothing to do with Islam or Shariah. So all these things should be avoided and should not be followed by any Muslim.

In addition to that, according to Sahih Muslim: 1163 (a) and Tirmidhi: 438, Muharram is Allah’s month. Then how can Allah’s month be evil and unlucky for His servants? So keep yourself away from these falsehoods and try to keep yourself on the right path, on the path of our beloved Prophet (S.A.W.) and his Companions (R.A.).