Chapter 34

"Max," a voice called. Max looked up from where he was sitting and saw Tom standing at the top of the stairs. "What do you think you're going to find here?"

"I don't know. Maybe, just maybe, there's something here to help us find out where they went."

"I don't think he wants to be found, Max. It's not like he'd leave clues."

"Not Chris, but maybe Nath."

"If Nathan knew where they were going, that'd make Chris a really bad kidnapper," Tom chuckled.

Max flipped a switch on the radio and it came to life in a loud shout of static. Max played with the dials, and pressed random buttons. One of them opened up a slot for CDs.

"There's a note in here," Max said to Tom. He pulled it out and unfolded the crumpled note.

Allenwood Drive, 5 miles from the nearest main road

"What the hell does that mean? You don't think he'd tell us where they went  would you?" Tom questioned, turning to Max.

Max shook his head in reply. "We have to check it out."

"I'll call the captain..."

"No! Don't!" Max exclaimed.

"Max, we need back up and..."

"Tom, last time we went with the police force he found out we were coming. What if this is just to send us on a wild goose chase? Send us to one place, but leave before we get there and keep on doing the same thing. If he finds out we're coming, then he'll know to leave and we won't get Nathan back."

"Okay, I'll call Jay then. We can meet at my place."