14.

If intellect from (Y/n) was correct, Dazai Osamu would meet him at the cafe.

Fyodor still chose to go simply out of sheer curiosity. How much would be different based on the minuscule actions he could do? Unfortunately for him, he accidentally killed the ability user that took (Y/n)'s memories. He'd have to dispose of the ability user sooner or later anyways. 

(Y/n) had been pretty unpredictable.

He laughed quietly, swirling the tea in his cup. The amber substance distorted his slanted grin. His intrigue of humanity hadn't diminished at all. It, in fact, took one crazy person to see eye to eye with another. Besides Dazai, (Y/n) had been impulsive beyond belief as well.

Let me make a request, they had said.

It had been more of a bet. See who would kill (Y/n). I don't care how you deliver the message to Dazai, Fyodor had mused, but your bet is on him so you would need to give him some sort of proposition. You cannot mention our bet, yes?

Who did you bet on?  They had asked.

Fyodor had merely smiled.

Humanity had many tendencies — one being self destruction. Obviously, his bet was more likely to lose if he had told (Y/n) he bet on them. He wasn't sure how far they could push, could be pushed. He wondered if Dazai would catch onto (Y/n)'s odd presence, how they didn't fit into this world. 

Actually, scratch that. He knew Dazai was far too smart to turn a blind eye this late.

The door jingled and Fyodor took that as cue to walk up and exit the well lit premises. Except, the moment he straightened his back, it felt as if the world yawned and folded itself inwards. As if something pierced the air. The air stilled, and Fyodor stared down at his own stomach, smile fading from his face.

A teacup clattered against its plate. He heard a few curses, and then Dazai's voice.

-

You gripped the gun in your fingers. It snarled against your palms as if noticing your hesitation. You'd never fired a gun before, never felt the trigger laugh against your fingers. It's an object of destruction, you had decided, that's deadly and should not be present in this world. 

And yet, Fyodor's leering smile still cut through your mind. It'd been like you could never get him out of your head. And maybe that had been his goal, to make you confused until your braincells fried themselves. And what then? What had been his goal in regards to you?

Fyodor crumpled to the floor, hand pressed against his stomach. You stared at him, then at the item in your hands. You pressed the trigger. The recoil had been less than you expected. But Fyodor simply stared at you unblinkingly, even as crimson dripped from his fingers.

"Detain him," Fitzgerald said to the people rushing behind you. Police. You had asked for a gun, said you were associated with the ADA, and they'd believed you. 

As Fyodor lay, bleeding out, police rushed out to clasp handcuffs on the man. Medics swarmed the man, and your breath caught in your throat.

It seemed like Dazai had the same thoughts you had, because in that moment, you two locked eyes. He shouted, "wait!" 

But it's too late. Fyodor activated his ability. You never realized how bright blood could be, how loose and watery it appeared.

Fyodor laughed. Dazai looked furious.

"We need Yosano," Dazai said, an almost desperate glare in his eyes. Maybe it was the fact that he'd met someone who thought similar to him, and the fear of losing an equal, though a little fucked, was there. "She can slice him up and patch him back up together."

Fyodor locked eyes with you. In that moment, you could see mirth in them. I may be gone, he seemed to say with his eyes, but you know damn well I'll still win that bet. I never lose.

You just lost your life, you thought, almost mercilessly. Fuck it. Fuck it all.

And based on how emotionally strained Dazai looked at the moment, you thought you had a pretty good chance to win the bet between you and Fyodor. The man looked like he was about to lunge at you at your interruption.