25. It started with an observation...

The child-like excitation was replaced by a wistful longing, and years of pain, "This is Boss... our legacy, our identity, our roots." There was a far-away look in Naruto's eyes as if he was seeing something that others can't. "Our home", he said at last while placing his hand on the Uzumaki swirl on his opposite upper arm.

It seemed like an eternity had been explained in a few simple words. Legacy, identity, and roots... three simple words, but contain the past, present, and future. And the rest of the Rookie 9, except Sakura, knew the importance of those. Those words had built them, shaped them, and empowered them. Because each of them is going to take up the mantle of leadership, swear to lead their clansman to a bright future. The existence of the clan heirs depends on those. They were being trained to uphold the integrity of those simple words. So, they could relate.

But what they couldn't relate to was the relationship between the blond boy and those words. As far as they knew, the hyperactive blond boy was an orphan. None of the records held his parents' details. Even the boy himself was unaware of his birth parents. He had been raised in the orphanage, and then nothing. That's all they know. They didn't even know his current residence. All they know is that the blond was given an extinct last name. The last name that had been long lost in the history books. Because that was the rule of the orphanage. To provide those orphans a lost name in the hope of keeping the past alive. But in most cases, those orphans lost their given identity after leaving the orphanage. So, where they could understand the weight of those simple words, they didn't know the context of such addition of words.

Another thing that was rearing its ugly head was the sudden change of demeanor and dynamics of team 7. Where most changes were connected to the blond whiskered boy!

"Oh shoot, what about Iruka-dad? Is he fine now or Boss will be more distressed after learning about him?", Naruto asked suddenly.

"Ir-Iruka-dad...?", a bewildered Hinata stuttered.

"Later Hinata, what are the details about Iruka-Sensei? Naruto will flip out if Sensei is not okay.", Sakura interrupted because she knew that Naruto was genuinely worried about Iruka Umino. And he will freak out sooner than later.

"I... Asuma Sensei said he was recovering quite well despite the severe chakra depletion. It'll take two or three days or maybe a little more to fully recover his depletion without external help. And for some reason, Iruka Sensei is also rejecting external chakra infusion. But doctors assured them that he will regain his consciousness by tonight or by tomorrow morning. And he is also out of danger, of course.", Ino explained.

"That's a piece of good news." Naruto exhaled a sigh of relief. Naruto clapped his hands to draw others' attention. "So, in the current situation, Kakashi Sensei will find team 7 when required. What about you guys?" Naruto asked.

Team 8 and 10 looked at each other. Then Shikamaru shrugged, "As far we know, Asuma Sensei is with Hatake-Sensei. Well, he said so. So we are free."

"As we are. Why? Because today is our rest day.", Shino answered on behalf of team 8.

"You guys get a rest day!", Sakura almost yelled out in disbelief and frustration.

"Why? You don't?", Ino asked confused. "We have 3 days off. Same for team 10."

"WHAT?", Sakura screeched this time. Sasuke also looked a little bit off. "I AM GOING TO KILL THAT LAZY SENSEI. He was putting us through hell. First, he is always late, while we are doing the training, and then those stupid missions, and again training. And you," Sakura accused Naruto with a severe glare, "because of you I'm dead tired when I go back home."