[ 𝟐𝟓 ]

"Can I tell you something, Hendery?"

He nodded. I opened my mouth and then closed it once again. After a few moments, I spoke up.

"I like Yangyang."

Or liked him? Does it still count even if he's not here?

"Well, um, I liked him," I fixed my statement. Hendery nodded calmly.

"You're not surprised?"

"Well, not really. I'm not sure how to explain it..." Hendery paused for a moment. "The way you gazed at him these days was pretty different."

I widened my eyes and said, "Oh, um, really?"

Was it that noticeable?

"That's not the point. Did you confess to him today morning? Is that why you didn't want to come with me?"

"Well..." I glanced around and fidgeted with my fingers.

"If it is, I'm not mad at you for that. I understand why you wouldn't want anyone else to be there."

"Oh," I said. "Well, I'm sorry for not letting you know earlier. I actually wrote a letter to Yangyang — which was a last-minute decision late at night — and told him the honest truth."

"And what did he say?"

I paused for a moment and then replied, "Nothing. He read it and then said nothing."

"I hope I didn't interrupt him earlier," Hendery referred to earlier.

"I don't think you did. As you said, it's Yangyang, he wouldn't hesitate to speak his mind."

My eyes gazed at the sky and I added, "Besides, even if you did interrupt, I'm glad you did

I don't know if I would've been ready to hear what he had to say.

Hendery looked confused but didn't say anything. We continued walking back home.

"Hey, look, it's the park," Hendery noted.

We both smiled happily but a few seconds later frowns appeared on our faces. People were doing many activities: kids played on the slides, swings, and seesaws, a couple walked their dog instead of being attached to their phone, another group of kids chased each other while playing tag. It looked lively but without Yangyang it felt empty to us.

"Do you want to go inside?" I asked him quietly.

Hendery shook his head and replied, "Let's go. The longer we stay here, the sadder we'll get."

He hesitated but started walking away.

My mind wandered off to last winter, the time we were building a snowman. I thought about the time when Yangyang and I sat on the swings but got up. I reminisced about the time when we took the long way home and he comforted me.

The time when Lijuan and I had stopped being friends. I had no idea what I did wrong.

"I don't think you did anything wrong. I guess it's just life." Yangyang spoke softly.

His voice still rang through my ears.

"But if there is something I realized is that I should treasure the friends I have right now. Like you and Hendery."

His words are imprinted in my brain.

"Mingxia."

"Coming." I caught up to Hendery and we walked back in silence.

"I miss Yangyang. It hasn't even been an hour since he left but I miss him."

"I do too," Hendery agreed.

We stopped in front of my apartment building and I looked up at my window.

"The first time I saw you two was when summer was almost over. I was sitting at my desk and looked down from there. You two were playing with a soccer ball."

Tears filled my eyes.

"It feels like it was just yesterday that Yangyang almost knocked you out with a soccer ball," Hendery chuckled.

"And it was just yesterday that we made the Space Dragons squad," I said. "Now that I look back to it, space isn't even an adjective. What were we thinking when naming our squad?"

"I know right, it confuses me too," he added. "Remember the time we spent making a huge snowman in the snow?"

I nodded and replied, "That was super fun."

"I bet my mom still has that picture. I'll see if I can find it on her phone."

"Oh and remember the sleepovers we had?"

"How could I ever forget that? You were almost going to pee your pants the first time we watched horror movies," Hendery smiled mischievously and I playfully punched his arm.

"Don't act like you didn't almost pee your pants either."

"You were going to do it first either way."

He gazed away and thoughtfully spoke, "We spent this summer well."

I agreed and commented, "And not only us but Yangyang had fun too."

"That made him sound like a third wheel for some reason." I looked confused at Hendery and was going to ask him what "third wheel" meant when my mom yelled from the balcony.

"Wang Mingxia! Are you going to come upstairs or not?"

"Coming Ma!," I turned to face Hendery. "I'll get going now."

"See you tomorrow at school."

I widened my eyes and said, "I totally forgot! I still need to pack my bag!"

"Don't worry, I haven't either," Hendery laughed and reassured me. "I'll come to pick you up tomorrow morning."

I went upstairs and started packing my backpack right away. Better sooner than later.

The sun shone brightly from the window. I stopped packing and glared at the sky.

I envied the sun, it would get to see Yangyang no matter where he went. Unlike the sun, I was stuck here in China.

|

|

Hey guys, it's me Rei aka the author!

How do you feel about this book so far? Feel free to leave comments! I love interacting with my readers uwu

Thank you and take care,

Rei <3