19

Loki had to admit he hadn't expected the first part of Strange's plan to work at all. As in, getting Captain Marvel to help them out. He was surprised how well it turned out.

The second he'd asked for assistance over the communication channel, Danvers had shouted "YESYESYES" repeatedly, and Loki and Strange had exchanged concerned looks (though Strange was doing a poor job of trying not to laugh) until she'd calmed down to say, with more dignity, "Oh, um, of course I'll help you out."

So that was weird. Thankfully, Loki had had more than his fair share when it came to weirdness, so he got over it quickly. Over the communication channel, he and Strange had told her the plan, and they both found things to improve along the way. Danvers proved to be a great ally – she knew a few vital things they hadn't previously known, the most important being the exact directions to place they needed to get to.

Which, now he thought about it, was something they should have thought about first.

But that didn't matter now, because they were minutes away from starting the aforementioned plan, and he had no excuse to be side-tracked or this would be impossible and they would die. But no pressure.

They could see Captain Marvel out the windshield, (not that they could miss her, because she was glowing and everything) in front and ready to start the plan. Since the last time they'd met, Loki had taken a page out of Scott's book so both he and Strange had individual earpieces, so even when they were out of the ship could they keep in contact with Danvers if need be. (Loki didn't tell Strange where he'd got the earpieces.)

So Danvers was just waiting for the signal. And Loki was waiting for Strange to figure out how to attach weapons that Loki was loaning him to himself.

"Strange, are you ready yet?" Loki said for probably the fifth time, turning around in the captain's chair to look at him.

Strange was still trying to work out how to put on the arm straps, never mind actually attaching the actual weapons. "This is complicated," Strange protested.

It really wasn't, but Loki sighed and telekinesis-ed the attachment gear to him from here and Strange jumped at the sudden use of magic. Strange's cloak leant closer as though amazed.

"Thanks," Strange said. He looked at the guns Loki was loaning him for their mission (he would never trust him with knives) and asked, "So... how do I attach these?"

Loki stared at him. "It's magnetic."

While Strange figured out the intricacies and wonders of magnets, Loki turned on the microphone on his earpiece and checked it. "OK, testing earpieces time. Can you hear me Danvers?"

There was a bit of static, then Danvers's voice crackled in his ear. "I can hear you. Is Strange going to be ready any time this month?"

Loki turned around again. The cloak was trying to help the wizard with the magnetic straps (the guy was a genius at some things, so how he couldn't figure out magnets was anyone's guess) and it didn't look like he'd be ready to go any time this century.

"Probably not," Loki replied. "I'm gonna go help him out."

Loki turned off his mic and went to go help Strange out. Strange didn't even notice he was standing there for a whole minute, doing everything but the correct way to use a magnet.

"Strange, would it be easier if I got you a belt?" Loki asked, when Strange didn't acknowledge his presence. "We're losing time here. Danvers has to be meeting the high priestess in three minutes."

"I know, I know," Strange said, slightly irritably, though he was still looking and playing with the strap, so Loki didn't think the irritation was directed at him. "But this is hard. It doesn't work like a normal magnet."

"It works exactly like a normal magnet," Loki argued.

"It doesn't," Strange insisted, still trying to attach it the wrong way.

"You're an idiot sometimes," Loki muttered, then took the strap from Strange and put the gun in it, then wrapped the strap around the gun and clicked the magnet against the magnet and et voila, the look on Strange's face was totally worth it.

"Remember, those are only for if you need them," Loki reminded him. "Since you won't really be the one fighting, the probability of you actually needing weapons will be very low but-"

"Better safe than sorry," Strange finished. After only about four attempts he figured out how to attach the other gun to his other strap. "Not very conveniently located though. It'll be hard to grab when I need it."

"Not really," Loki said. "I mean, there are other, way more awkward to grab places..."

"Loki..." Strange said, clearly embarrassed. Loki couldn't help laughing.

"We've got a minute, guys," Danvers's voice said over the earpiece. "Are you ready?"

Loki turned his mic on. "Yep, all ready when you are, Danvers." He turned it off again and said, "Oh yeah, Strange? Put this on." He handed him a cloak (non-magic and black). "Because the more blue wizard robes and red cloaks you wear, the more unwanted attention you attract."

Strange put it on, but Loki could sense the magic cloak was offended. "Don't be offended," Loki told it. "You get to have your own starring role for a change."

The cloak tilted it's collar interestedly.

"I don't want to rush you but you need to hurry up," Danvers insisted over the earpiece.

Don't lose your cool, Loki told himself. Allies could be annoying.

He sat down in the captain's chair and started up the ship. "Ready when you are, Cap," he said into the earpiece.