10 | court

"You ready to do this?"

When Luna had gotten a letter from the courts asking her to appear because her ex-husband was petitioning for full custody of Mary, she had a complete mental breakdown. She locked herself in her room and cried until she couldn't anymore before just staring into space in complete shock. Eddie had tried to get her to talk or eat but she had done neither. Eventually she had come out of the room and apologised to Eddie but he wasn't having it, knowing she was going through something difficult.

Luna sighed, "I don't want to do this, it should have never come to this but she's my daughter and I will always fight for her. He will not be taking her away from me." She knew she had a pretty solid case. From his past abuse convictions and current unemployment, she knew the court would be less likely to grant him custody.

Eddie nodded, "Lets do this." He held Luna's hand while holding Mary's in the other. She might not have been his biological daughter but he treated her as such and loved her as he loved Christopher. He didn't care what anyone had to say, she was his daughter.

They sat through it all. Opening statements, witness statements, evidence and closing statements. After everything was said and done, Luna was confident that she would get full custody of Mary, maybe some supervised visits and holidays down the road.

"After everything I've heard today it's clear where Mary should be placed and who has her best interest at heart. Therefore I will be granting full custody to Luna Edwards but seeing as Nigel has expressed a desire to get to know his daughter, I will also be granting supervised visits that will be discussed at a later date. That's all." The judge spoke before hitting the gravel down.

Luna had never been so relieved in her life, knowing that her daughter was not being taken away from her and that there was nothing Nigel could do, unless he wanted to fight with the courts.

"How do you feel?"

"Better. Mary is my whole life, the last thing I want is for someone to take her away from me. I have done everything I can to make sure she has a wonderful and happy life, I was not about to let him take that away from her. We've had our differences but I never thought he would stoop so low." Luna sighed. She thought she knew her ex-husband but lately he's proved that all he wants is to ruin her life, taking no responsibility for what he had put her and Mary through.

Eddie pressed a kiss to her head, "No matter what happens, Mary loves you. You are the best parent anyone could ask for. You have done everything you can to make sure she has a happy life and she will always be grateful because she loves you. She loves you so much and couldn't imagine her life without you. I can't imagine my life without you. We are all lucky to have you in our lives. Thank you."

Luna could feel the tears brimming, "No thank you. I never thought I would fall in love again, let alone find someone that loves my daughter like their own. You have shown me the importance of love and finding the balance between love and work. Having you in my life has been the best couple of months of my life. You have been the best man any one could ask for. I love you."

"I love you too, you have no idea."