Chapter 3

'Changes'

Clary woke to a warm body pressed to hers. It felt like so long ago since she'd woken with someone beside her. Could it all have been a dream? But the smell of burnt sugar, parchment and spices wasn't Jace's. Rather, it was Jem's. Clary felt her heart hammer in her chest at the thought of the silver boy's hands in her ruby locks, of his lips against hers, how his kisses were both gentle and full of a burning passion all at once. Her breath quickened and her palms got sweaty.

"Are you alright, Clary?" Jem asked quietly.

"By the Angel!" Clary almost screamed. "I thought you were asleep! That was mean!"

He laughed. It was a deep laughter, like crystal shattering. A shiver went up Clary's spine, so she scooted closer to Jem. His arms went around her, as if it was a habit.

"Do you love Tessa?" Against her will the readhead found herself speaking the words tormenting her. "I don't mean to sound jealous. I was just wondering what you thought of this... us."

Jem pondered this for a moment.

"No. I used to, but now, when I think of love, her face doesn't come to mind anymore." He answered.

Clary let out a breath she hadn't realized she was holding.

"And do you love Jace?"

"I think we've established already that I hate his guts..." She told him.

He closed his eyes and rested his head against the board. His silver hair shined in the Sun from the window. Suddenly he trembled.

"Jem? Jem are you alright?" Clary asked.

"Get- get W-Will!" He coughed.

Clary saw the blood on his hand and dripping down from the corner of his mouth. She reached for her stele.

"There's no time. By the time he gets here you'll be past helping." She said.

"I- n-need Will." Jem spluttered. "An iratze won't help."

"Not a regular iratze. "

She got to work, the stele burning his skin, tracing swirling patterns. Clary put her entire soul into the rune, which spoke of healing.

It definitely wasn't a regular iratze but it worked much more effectively. Jem's shoulders began to relax and the coughing ceased. His eyes fluttered open and gazed into hers. There was something wrong, startling, but she couldn't put her finger on it.

"Thank you, Clary." He whispered.

That was when it hit her. His eyes weren't silver anymore. They were a rich brown, almost black. Clary's eyes were drooping from all the energy she had used to heal Jem.

"Your eyes..." She said.

"What about them?"

"They're brown." She whispered.

His breath hitched. He regained his composure soon after, but he had seemed so alert in that brief moment.

"Sleep, Clary." He said soothingly.

And Clary slept.

                                  +++

Will opened his door grudgingly. The knocking was insistent and loud. He had thought it would be Jace, but it turned out being Jem. A very panicked, strange-looking Jem, if truth be told.

"Look at my eyes!" He said harshly.

What Will saw made him suddenly understand his parabatai's worry. His eyes looked normal, as they had been when Jem had first arrived to London from Shanghai. They were brown.

"What happened?"

"I was having a 'crisis' and Clary put a healing rune on me. It was really powerful and I think it's actually healed me." Jem said with glittering eyes.

"That's really good but we can't afford to let down our guard. It could be a side effect or a minor healing." Will said.

                               +++

Isabelle was walking in Central Park when she heard a familiar voice call out.

"Kirk wait up! I don't have vampire speed, you know?" It said.

It was Simon. And his somewhat inoffensive comment had a much deeper meaning for the Lightwood girl. She sprinted to catch up with him. She finally saw him. He looked like he had when she first met him. Very mundane-y and not at all an eyecatcher. But it was Simon and he made her heart flutter with his geekiness and awkward ways.

"Simon!" She called.

He turned in wonder, as if surprised that a girl would be calling and running up to him in Central Park.

"Simon! It's Isabelle Lightwood. Don't you remember me?" She asked.

"I, er... Wait. Are you Alec's sister?" He asked.

"Y-yes. How do you remember him?" Isabelle stuttered.

"He came by a few weeks ago demanding I remember him, Clary and you. He even mentioned a James."

"Jace. And do you remember anyone? I heard you talk about vampires..." She asked hopefully.

"I- I'm sorry. I can't recognize any of you." Simon muttered.

Isabelle's heart sank. Of course he couldn't remember. Asmodeus had made sure he wouldn't.

"Wait. Is Max also your brother?" He said suddenly.

Pain flooded through Isabelle. As if her heart were being stabbed repeatedly.

"Yes. He was. He's dead. I can't believe Alec told you!" She said bitterly.

Tears stung her eyes. I will not cry. Not in front of Simon.

"He didn't. I just had a picture of a little boy reading a manga and, somehow, I knew his name was Max Lightwood." Simon said quietly.

"Come!" She screeched.

She grabbed his hand and pulled him towards the road. They got the train and headed to Brooklyn.

"Magnus! Alec!" Isabelle yelled into the doorbell.

As soon as she heard the light buzz she ushered Simon inside and up the stairs.

"What is it, Isa- What are you doing with him here? You know the Law-" Magnus said as he greeted her.

"Screw the Law! He remembers Max!" Isabelle hissed.

Magnus' cat eyes widened.

                                 +++