Can I Hold Your Hand?

Arthit really doesn't know why he does it. He's at the cinema for goodness sake, no-one ever goes there alone. But he likes to and now his worst nightmare is coming true - Namtarn and Jay have just walked in and joined the line for tickets, popcorn and snacks only a few people behind him.

He can't leave the line because they'll see him if he tries to slink away, but equally if he stays here, there's a very good chance that when he turns from the counter, they'll still catch sight of him.

It's a huge dilemma. He really doesn't want the two people he used to know best in the world feeling sorry for him because he's here alone.

If it was anyone else he really wouldn't care. Bright or Prem or Knott, sure they might tease him a little but it would be good natured teasing and they know him better than even Jay and Namtarn now, so he knows they wouldn't feel sorry for him. Instead, they would respect that he quite likes to see films by himself, without anyone irritating him by talking through it or trying to steal his popcorn and drink.

He's just eyeing up the largest popcorn bucket and wondering if he'll be able to hide his whole head behind it and navigate to the screen without tripping up, when the man in front of him starts a rather loud phonecall.

He seems to be talking to someone who is stuck in a tunnel, because he's having to yell a lot. Arthit would never yell in public like this, he'd take his phone and lose his place in line if he needed to.

But the guy in front of him doesn't seem to care, although he does seem to be mad.

"I can't believe you Em, you've totally let me down! I'm so angry at you. You promised..."

Whatever this Em replies has the man stabbing at his phone frantically as he tries to hang up, then thrusting it into one of his pockets.

As he does, Arthit happens to huff a little and the man turns his gaze on him. He must see that Arthit feels second hand embarrassment, because he apologies profusely in a soft voice, not at all like the one he had turned on that Em guy.

"It's okay," Arthit says calmly, holding up his arms palm out, like his mother has always taught him when faced with something overwhelming.

The man seems to note the gesture and takes a step back from Arthit's space.

"I am sorry," he says, "I have an idiot best friend and now I have no-one to watch the movie with."

He must see the pinch in Arthit's expression, because he immediately follows it up with, "Not that it's a bad thing, seeing a film on your own. At least no-one interrupts you or tries to eat your snacks."

Arthit feels a bubble of laughter escape him, as the man unconsciously echoes his thoughts from before. It seems to please the man, because he inches a tiny bit closer and offers his hand, "I'm Kongpob."

Arthit doesn't take his hand, but does offer his name, and once again, the man seems to understand him, smiling as he lowers his hand without any concern.

"Nice to meet you Arthit. What are you here to see?"

They discuss the movie that it turns out they are both here to watch and Arthit's anxiety about Namtarn and Jay slowly abates. Kongpob is funny and clearly very passionate about the series they have come to see the finale of. He's got so many opinions about the first two films in the trilogy, that Arthit feels his head start to spin from the amount of knowledge being stuffed into it.

"Oh man," Kongpob says at last as he trails away from his views on the cinematography and location choice, "I'm talking too much, right?"

Arthit nods his head a little, but offers him a smile at the same time.