𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝘀𝗶𝘅.

chapter six

{ unedited }

ASH INVITED THEMSELF INTO COULSON'S OFFICE, making sure the door shut behind them before dropping down in the seat opposite Coulson. He looked up from his file with a raised brow and Ash smiled at him as they crossed their legs in the chair. "So, I've been thinking―"

"That's never good," Coulson joked and Ash gaped at him, eyes narrowing into a glare. Since they've been looking for Ian Quinn, Ash had spent a lot of time with Coulson since he was the leader and Ash had fresh eyes on this whole case. Ash was getting used to his jokes but it didn't mean they liked it and, even if they did, they weren't going to tell him since they knew Coulson would only make more of them.  "Sorry, sorry. Continue."

"So you know how Fitz-Simmons are really bad at keeping secrets? They just talk and talk without realising. At least to me. People do that a lot with me. But, anyways, I have a theory about this Clairvoyant dude. I know more about SHIELD now with the levels and all for security and I need to use yours to see if my theory is right. Wait, wait," they added quickly when Coulson opened his mouth, ready to protest. "I know what you're going to say. You can't trust me with that clearance. But I don't know anybody on this earth. I have no one to leak this information to. You said it yourself, I'm a fresh pair of eyes so let me put it to use. I really think I can figure this out."

Ash had learned during the blood tests with Simmons that SHIELD has information on everything and everyone, more so on the modified, superpowered humans. Everything was locked away in files that were restricted to who could access depending on the SHIELD level a person was at. Coulson was at the highest, Level Ten, whilst Ash would be at Level One if they were a SHIELD agent. Coulson has access to everything but Ash would only have access to files on their own missions and training, nothing more.

"You do realise you're asking me to break every single rule, right?"

"Only if we get caught."

"That's not how it works, Ash."

"It could be. Please, Coulson," Ash pleaded when the man didn't say anything. "I want to help somehow and this is something I have a gut feeling about. I just need the clearance to go through the files and see if it's right. You can stay by me while I do it if you don't trust me."

Coulson was studying Ash though to say he was scrutinizing them would be more accurate. They could tell. He seemed like he was trying to take in ever detail no matter how fine it may seem to see if he could find any sign of deceit but came up empty. "What is your theory?" Coulson finally asked and Ash's lips tugged up into a smile despite knowing their next words would not sit well with him.

"I don't wanna say until I know it's right."

"Why is that?"

"Because, if you hear it, you definitely won't trust me," Ash answered honestly, keeping up the eye contact Coulson had with them. He should probably intimidate them considering the power he had but Ash wasn't frightened in the slightest.

Coulson sighed and pulled open one of the drawers of his desk and reached in to grab something from it. "It better be a damn good theory, Ash, if you're asking me to break the rules." He slammed the drawer shut before holding out his hand, the Level Ten badge staring up at Ash. "If I give this to you, you have to promise to not skip out on training with May again."

"I promise," Ash said instantly despite how much they hated training.

"Don't make me regret it."

"I won't," they promised and Coulson hesitated before dropping the badge into their hand. "Thank you. For trusting me," Ash said as they got up from the chair, gripping onto the badge tightly in case Coulson decided to change his mind and then take it back from them. "You won't regret it."