𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝘀𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗻.

chapter seven

{ unedited }

ASH HAD BURIED THEMSELF IN THE FILES. While the others waited for news on Skye at a facility, they kept working on figuring out the Clairvoyant in Skye's van on the Bus. They didn't have to be there to know how Skye was doing, they could feel her slipping more and more into the darkness, into death.

An aftereffect of their powers coming back in a hurry was having to deal with all the voices again, ebbing at their mind, pleading and tempting them. It was how it had been the first time they received their powers and it took months to control it but now, for reasons beyond Ash's comprehension, they were back at the beginning.

Help us. I need your help. Get us out of here. Save us! Join us. We can give you everything you want. Stay with us. Get me out of here! Help me! Come inside. I can help you, join me. Help! I'll save you, give me your hand and everything'll be okay. Let me save you. Get me out! I want out!

Thousands of voices pulled at their brain as if nails scratching on a chalkboard, all talking over each other and leaving an incoherent, painful mess in Ash's head. They hadn't experienced this since they first got their powers and they felt like they were dying, voices bouncing all around them, covering every inch of the van; pleading, tempting, begging.

"Please stop," Ash whispered, their head between their knees as they tugged at their hair, praying for it to stop but it only got louder. "Leave me alone. I don't like this. Stop..."

"Ash?"

The voice was faint over the others and Ash couldn't focus on it as the others probed at their brain, giving them the worst migraine of all migraines. It hadn't been this bad the first time they got their powers but it seemed like the people in the darkness knew they weren't supposed to be on this earth and were using that against them, taunting them.

"Ash, I'm scared." The voice got louder and Ash forced themself to keep their eyes closed, zoning in on that one voice. When they opened again, they were no longer in Skye's van but rather a plane of darkness with shadows drifting mindlessly amongst each other, eyes never leaving Ash as they walked around the plane in hope of finding the voice. "Ash, what's happening? I don't understand...I don't like this."

Ash's vision was blurred with tears as they stopped in front of Skye, not being able to look away from the blood staining her shirt with her hand over it, another reminder of something that they could have prevented if their powers came back sooner. "Ash, I don't...what is this place? I don't understand. I'm scared. I'm so scared. I don't want to die!"

"You're not going to die," Ash said gently, lifting their hands to wipe away her tears the best they could. "You're notright now, you're not exactly alive or dead. Life support is keeping you alive and that's how you're here. This is where the dead stay, in the shadows. That's where we are. Not all the dead are here, only those who can't pass on yet but you're not dead. We're working to get you back."

"I don't remember..." Skye lifted her hands from her bullet wound, looking at the blood with wide eyes before meeting Ash's gaze, her eyes glittering with tears even in the darkness. "I can't remember anything! Why don't I remember anything!?"

"I don't know," Ash said as they dropped their hands to hers, holding on tightly, keeping their voice gentle to try and keep Skye calm. "I don't know, Skye, but I'm gonna try to get you to leave here with me. It's like..." Ash trailed off with a sigh, not knowing how to explain this without making it seem like Skye was dead. "I'll be in the real world and you, well, you'll be there with me but no one will be able to see you. Only me and"