Chapter Nine: I Put a Spell On You

Tuesday, 3:32 pm

Grace sliced her gaze up from her computer screen to Luna, swiveled her eyes to Juice, and then back to Luna again. They'd been at this now for at least fifteen minutes, and she was at the end of her rope here. Back and forth, flirt and giggle, and then back and forth again.

"I mean, Juicey," Luna had herself practically draped like a cat over the reception counter. "When I read those new pages, I was like, damn, that is some hot-ass shit right there... and it's kinda romantic-like too, with that scene when they're in the tub. I don't even know how we're gonna film that, but it's gonna be hot."

Juice ran a hand over his mohawk a little sheepishly, as if he didn't know what Luna was really up to here, as if he didn't see the way her eyes glittered and sparkled at him.

Ugh. Get a room already.

"Yeah, uh," Juice swiped a hand over the top of his head again, glancing down at the counter as he spoke. Apparently, eye contact was too hard for him right now. "You know, when I was writing that scene, I was kinda picturing you as Mariana, actually."

Grace lifted her eyes to the ceiling, fighting back the urge to literally tip back in her chair to put herself out of her misery. While she would've liked to just make a clean getaway and excuse herself to the staff room or something like that for the time being, the problem here was that the club president who was currently holding court in her boss's office would probably be making an appearance any minute now. And while she'd normally cut and run just because of that, he also had a deadline to meet, and it was technically her job to help him meet it.

True to her word, Lyla had left a long laundry list of items for Jax to check off this afternoon, and for the most part, he was doing it without needing much of an assist from their shared assistant. Of course, Lyla gave him the softball tasks - like signing off on the production and marketing schedules, and giving some blanket approval to things like props, condoms, lube, and costumes - while she handled most of the more detailed and knowledge-intensive tasks, like most of the meetings with the marketing, writing, and pre-production teams. So, still most of the work.

But at least it was something because, just like yesterday, Jax breezed in through the front door today at around 1:00 with Maddie in tow, and after handing things off, Lyla and Maddie had left about ten minutes after that - with Maddie waving excitedly, See you tonight for Hocus Pocus, Miss Grace!

She gritted her teeth at that thought and dropped her focus back down to her computer screen. There was no point in arguing or making excuses or doing anything else that might get her out of this movie night tonight. Because, come hell or high water, Maddie was going to force her chauffeur to roll into her driveway sometime between 5:00 and 6:00 tonight, and they weren't leaving until she got in the car.

Somewhere, deep down, she knew she could just bail and go anywhere but back to her duplex once she was done with work today. She knew that. But she wouldn't risk that little girl's disappointment either - not with the epic disappointment and heartache that was probably headed her way. Sure, Maddie's parents were starting marriage counseling today, but Grace's parents had been in marriage counseling before too. And just because they'd stayed married didn't mean they'd stayed happy.

So, for Maddie's sake, she'd power through movie night and keep her distance from Maddie's uncle as much as humanly possible. Besides, that girl talked 100 miles a minute, and with her as a buffer between them, her solo interactions with Jax would hopefully be few and far between.

And all that being said, watching that movie with Maddie sitting on her couch on Sunday morning, listening to her chirp away endlessly, experiencing one of her favorite movies through the eyes of a four-year-old... it had tugged at something inside her. Something that she'd usually been better at ignoring and shoving back down into its place.