Chapter Ten: Cheap Thrills

Wednesday, 2:26 pm

"No, I understand that, sir," Grace squeezed her eyes shut as the guy on the other end just kept right on going. "Well, like I said, I understand, but the fact that you watched over 75 percent of the video before you decided you didn't want to watch it anymore automatically triggered our website's download return policy... sure, if it's not your thing, it's not your thing, but you also watched more than 15 percent of the video, and when you paid to watch it, the disclaimer right before the screen where you put in your card - oh, so you did see the disclaimer? Okay..."

How had this become her life? Her job? At least for now, but still... talking some guy off the ledge about a scandalous purchase he'd accidentally made with the wrong credit card on Red Woody's website wasn't really her problem. Certainly wasn't how she wanted to spend her time either. Plenty of more important things to do than figure out how to help this ignorant asshole hide his porn from his husband.

All she needed to do was about another two and a half hours and she could head back to her duplex and plug away at her real work and her real job.

"But what am I supposed to do now?" the sorry sucker on the end of the other line prattled on. "How am I gonna explain that? Why can't you just reverse the charges?"

"I wish I could, but," she glanced at the other lines available for transfer on the front of her desk phone's screen, and Nero's line was still busy, "Our CFO is on a call right now. I can put you through to his voicemail and -"

"No! You don't understand how fucked I am - I need to talk to someone who can help me now!"

Grace squeezed her eyes shut and when she opened them again, her stand-in boss was leaning his elbows on the counter, his lips twitching as he listened in.

"I'm really sorry about this situation, sir," she rolled her eyes up to the ceiling as she spoke, "but the policy is posted on our website, and when you make your purchase, you're also agreeing to those terms."

Seriously. The studio - and the club who ran it - had been nothing but thorough about that particular website policy. It was posted anywhere and everywhere someone might make a purchase, so this guy was just being an asshole to be an asshole because nothing about this was the studio's fault.

"If you'd like to leave a voicemail for -"

"No, I want to fucking talk to someone who can actually help me, and that's obviously not you."

Grace blew out one long, controlled breath to rein it in before she went off like a rocket on this prick. He was a jerk, but he was still a customer, and she was still technically employed by the studio he'd made a purchase from. Then her eyes flicked up to Jax, who cocked his head to the side the second their eyes met from across the counter. And then, as if he could read her mind, he shot her a crooked smirk and held out his hand, waving his fingers toward him to signal what he wanted.

All she could do was shrug and hand over the phone. She was just about ready to hang up on this guy anyway.

Jax scooped up the phone and held it to his ear, that smirk still twitching his lips. "Hey there. What can I do for you... who am I? I'm one of the owners of this studio... uh huh... I see," he bit down on his bottom lip to hide his grin when his eyes found Grace again as he listened to the douchenozzle on the other end, "Well now, let's just back up a second here - first of all, the nice lady you were speaking with just now is my assistant, not a bitch, and all she was doing was her job, so I'd appreciate it if we could just move on from that and focus on what's really important here."