Chapter Twenty-Three: Him & I

Saturday, 12:14 am

"I don't know," Juice shook his head, running a hand over his bald head. "I mean, we gotta get her in there somehow, but you can't just walk her in through the front doors and expect anybody not to notice."

Hmm.

He did have a point.

At least his intelligence officer was finally pulling his weight. Although, to be fair, Juice had stepped up to the plate in a big way earlier, easily grabbing the intel Grace needed and pretty efficiently and quickly too. But they still had a problem on their hands - how in the fuck were they going to get her inside the evidence room at Charming PD long enough for her to not only find whatever she was looking for, but also smuggle it out of there without getting caught?

"We just gotta create some sorta diversion, bro," Jax held his hands out with a shrug. "That's all I'm saying," then he gestured to Juice's computer, which currently had a map of the precinct up on the screen. "There's a window in the ladies' room right there. I say I just give her a boost and push her through."

Juice, to his credit, scratched the side of his head, a disturbed line stitched across his forehead. "Seems a little risky though, doesn't it?"

Jax huffed out a laugh as he reached for his cigarettes inside his kutte

Jax huffed out a laugh as he reached for his cigarettes inside his kutte. "I got a feeling this is nothin' compared to some of the shit she's gotten herself into before. Besides, I'm gonna be crawlin' in right after her anyway."

"That's true," Juice allowed with a shrug, glancing over his shoulder as he spoke. "Luna was sayin' something about her gettin' chased down by the Sicilian mob or some shit like that?"

That cigarette dangled precariously between his lips. The fuck?

"She mentioned she was in Italy on a job and that's why she missed Dani's funeral, but she never said anything about the Sicilian fucking mob."

He couldn't believe he'd just said those words out loud. The Sicilian fucking mob.

"Yeah, but I think that was a different job though from the way Luna made it sound," Juice went on, shrugging at his prez like this was all no big deal, like his goddamn head wasn't about to explode. "I guess one of the guys made her and then they chased her about a mile through the streets and everything. And then Luna was sayin' she tracked down a KGB spy? And then there was somethin' about her tailing some prized fighter for some pakhan in Reno? I don't know what that was about, but..." Juice trailed off when he got a good look at the glazed expression on his prez's face.

It felt a little bit like the walls were closing in on him. Maybe there was a paper bag somewhere he could hyperventilate in.

He'd known about Italy - but only one of those jobs in Italy, apparently - and she'd casually mentioned the KGB spy before, but that was it. Looked like they needed to have a conversation about the exact nature of the kinds of jobs she took sooner rather than later. Working for guys like Damon Pope was one thing. But Grace was more brazenly fearless than he'd thought - and here he thought infiltrating an outlaw - ex-outlaw - MC to catch a killer and willfully putting herself alone in a room with a sex predator was reckless and stupid as hell.