Education

This month's Aspire issue is all about believing. That's why we're going to be talking about plot twists – because they're all about what your readers do and do not believe!

Simply said, a plot twist is a surprise development in your story. A change that subverts the reader's expectations. When done well, you can really surprise your reader with a good plot twist, which will enhance their engagement with the story. Sometimes a plot twist is done so well that the reader can mull it over long after closing the book, which of course makes the story incredibly memorable.

 Sometimes a plot twist is done so well that the reader can mull it over long after closing the book, which of course makes the story incredibly memorable

Plot twists do not necessarily need to occur at the climax of the story. The only true rule for twists is that they cannot occur at the beginning of the story, because you need to lay some groundwork for it first. Careful setup of the rules and facts of the world you've created is important for an effective twist.

It is therefore equally important not too be too obvious about it. A twist needs to be unexpected. The reader shouldn't be able to guess at the twist before it has happened. However, the groundwork needs to be laid in such a way that, if the reader were to go back and re-read the first part of the book, they would be able to see the signs.

To this effect, foreshadowing is essential. Foreshadowing is a literary device in which you hint at something that will follow later in the story. This can create suspense and tension for the reader. But again, there is a fine line between using this literary device well and overusing it, which will make the plot twist become too obvious. Clues and hints should be used sparingly.

Another thing that's important to remember is that you shouldn't use too many plot twists in your story. A good, strong plot twist changes the direction of the entire story, so you only need a single big plot twist per story. Use more, and the reader will stop trusting you. The story will start to feel like cheap thrills without substance.

 The story will start to feel like cheap thrills without substance

Plot twists shouldn't be there just for the sake of it. They should have an aim of their own. There are several reasons for which you could use a plot twist.

Firstly, a good plot twist can push the character to act. The middle of the story can sometimes feel like a bit of a filler part, with characters growing stagnant. By adding a plot twist, the character will come to face a sudden change of circumstances, which will force them to respond and take action. It might even change their ultimate goals.