Heated argument

The loud, pulsating beat of the club filled my ears as Marcus and I entered.

I don't normally go clubbing, I must say I am more of a stay at home and stuff my face sort of person, not a social butterfly like the people already here clearly were.

It was the end of the football season, Man United had finished 4th overall, a result everyone was very proud of. So, naturally, there were celebrations to be had.

Marcus was more of a party animal than me for sure, this was more his environment than it was mine. Most of the team was already gathered around the bar, ordering drinks and mingling together.

"Hey boys" Marcus happily greeted, signalling to the bartender that he wanted to order.

"All drinks are on a tab tonight, on me, so no need to pay guys!" Ole announced, resulting in claps and loud cheers to fill the air.

Marcus turned to me.

"What do you want?"

I grinned. 

"Shots, obviously". He smirked in response and ordered.

The atmosphere was just buzzing with energy. Marcus retuned with a tray of shots, handing me one while he grabbed another. I downed mine first, welcoming the sting of liquid down my throat. He watched with pride, biting his lip as I set the glass back on the tray. 

 I'm so glad I'm not a lightweight.

Marcus tilted his head back and I watched the vodka disappear into his mouth.

After the tray was finished with the help of others, we slightly separated. I noticed Melanie, Anthony's wife standing to the side, drink in hand. I headed over to her, and she smiled in greeting.

"Y/n! I haven't seen you in ages, how are you?"

I smiled in return before answering.

"I'm fine, Melanie, happy to be here and proud of the boys! Is all good with you?"

"Oh yes. Very proud indeed, its rare we come to a setting like this, its so strange." I nodded in agreement, scanning the room again. The dance floor was packed with sweaty bodies dancing to the music, the disco lights flashing and illuminating people's faces. I made accidental eye contact with someone across the floor, he was stood with what I assumed was a friend and was now staring at me with interest.

"Are you staying at the hotel tonight?" I asked to try and distract myself from being intimidated by him.

"Yes, I don't think we'd make it home in one piece if we didn't! Are you guys staying as well?"

I laughed.

"Yeah, we'd end up dying or something if we weren't."

There was a brief pause, and it looked like Melanie was looking past me before she answered.

"That man over there keeps staring at you". She lowered her voice as if she was worried he would be able to hear us, despite the loud music.

I hastily turned around, to find him in the same place with a smile on his face. 

"He's not bad looking, but you've already got a man who is better" she laughed. "I'm going to the bathroom, stay safe hun" she said as she left.

Sighing, I walked back to the bar to get another drink. I was going to need it to get through this night that seemed to be dragging on. A few minutes passed before I felt someone come beside me, also ordering a drink. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw it was the same man who was looking over at me earlier.