Chapter 1: Yes! I'm out of the ground!

The Eternal Magical Tree, Vol. 1

Story by Titus Kon (Pen Name)

Cover art NOT owned by Author.

This book is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places, and incidents are the product of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual events, locales, or persons, living or dead, is coincidental.
——————————————————

"Where am I?" Surrounded by darkness, I couldn't feel my body or temperature, yet an inexplicable comfort enveloped me. My voice was confined to thoughts, not audible sound. As I pondered my location, stars, or what I assumed were stars, gradually appeared all around me. In those fleeting moments, a flood of thoughts raced through my mind—how I arrived here, the purpose of my presence, the whereabouts of my family, and the pressing question: 'Am I dead?'

(Yes.)

Unable to turn or discern a source, as there seemed to be no distinction in direction, I sensed a telepathic connection or perhaps it was just my thoughts serving as a coping mechanism in this perplexing situation.

(Not quite.)

Okay! That's definitely telepathy. "Who's there? God?"

(Yes, am God)

"What happened to me? How's my family?"

(Now, that's what I like to hear, shall we go on a journey?)

"Where to?"

(Nowhere really, just felt better if we did.)

God seemed to know I preferred walking over staying still while we talked. Unconsciously, I realized that I, a body made of stars or galaxy-like liquid form, moved as I would if I were human. Hovering above the surface of the starlit darkness, everything around me, including myself, moved with a rhythm. Watching this cosmic dance allowed me to observe the change of scenery as globs of space-fabric tore, revealing a reality I knew well—Earth, more specifically, home.

"Is..that me?"

(Yes. Mie, you'll soon learn why you cannot return.)

Observing myself driving fast down the road, memories of my past life slowly resurfaced. I saw the weather and recalled foolish choices, moments when I neglected safe driving practices. The road along the mountainside revealed the storm's fury, mirroring the distress I felt while rushing home to my husband, who had been in an accident. Breakdowns ensued as I cried, realizing that I would never see him again.

(This is how life goes on, we don't rule it. Freedom comes not with a price, just responsibility.)

The visage of a goddess emerged as she presented the next scene. It seemed she disapproved of being referred to as a woman. Gazing upon the world once more, this time, it was approximately four months after I had passed on.

The goddess conveyed a message: "Honestly, your marriage was falling apart. He is regretful for missing the chance to say kind words to you, yet relieved. Moreover, he is happier now that you're gone, as he can recover much of himself lost in you. Don't worry; you're a good person. It's not my intention to disarray your thoughts or evoke these emotions. I'm seeking your assistance, and it's in your best interest to see the truth of things. Your daughter is now 12, living with her stepdad who loves her as much as you would. You lived a great life; take a look."

"WAIT! Stepdad!" A moment of pause lingered as the goddess didn't interject into my reality of things. Did he ever really love—

"Yes, he loved you dearly. However, people grow and change, something you never questioned. So you never sought to think about what could be," the goddess explained, shedding light on a perspective that had remained unexplored.