Out of touch

--------------------
-_| Chapter 12 |_-
--------------------

CW: scars, mention of past injuries
Word count: 1250

Please listen to the song once the sign * appears!

°°°

The first thing she heard as she woke up was the frustrated sigh from Dream. Y/n didn't feel his warmth beside her on the bed where he fell asleep with her in his arms. Her eyes groggily fluttered open as she eyed the obsidian room. Dream was sat on the floor, with his back against the wall, holding a book and a quill in his hands, his face was ghosted by a frown. He was writing something down, letting out annoyed grunts once a while as if something was bugging him.
"Dream?" She called out to him, sitting up on the bed, making him flinch and stop the movements of his quill.
"Hey Y/n. How was the sleep?" His expression instantly softened, upon seeing her awake.

"It was alright. What are you doing?"
"Uh, a...diary? Well, sort of." He laughed awkwardly, avoiding her gaze. She just stared at him for a moment before getting off the bed and walking up to him. She sat beside him, pressing her back against the wall and let out a small sigh.
"Mask?" She questioned and he nodded quickly. She took his mask off his face, and he let out a sigh of relief at the feeling of air hitting his face. "Can I take a look?"

*

"Yeah, sure." She peeked at the diary, curious. His handwriting was...shaky, but still readable. He was writing something about the times he spent with Sapnap and George when the SMP was first founded. Good old times. Those were his memories that he was writing down. Glancing up at him, she noticed that he had a sad look in his green eyes, that were clouded with a great grief and guilt. She noticed the one particular line that said: "Sorry for the pain I've caused, Sap, George. And everyone else." It was like...a letter to them in case he wouldn't survive. In case he dies. So if he couldn't apologize to them in person, this diary that he wrote would. It was like as if he already lost his hope... Y/n didn't say anything, just wrapped her arms around his tall figure, nuzzling her face in his shoulder.

"We're getting you out of here, I promise." She murmured, for him to hear. It drew a small chuckle from the boy, who wrapped his arms around her instead of the response. Both sides didn't say anything, they just held each other, trying to seek the comfort. The pair could hear each other's heartbeat.
"Hey Y/n?" She hummed against his shoulder, looking up. She expected him to say anything, but he didn't, instead, he pressed his forehead against hers, looking into her e/c eyes lovingly. "Have I ever told you that your eyes are beautiful, just like you?" She flushed a slight pink at his words.
"No, you didn't. And thank you. But you're being cheesy."
"I'm merely stating the truth." He coyly smiled down at her, smug.

"Oh shut up." She grumbled, flustered, pushing his head away from herself to hide her burning face from him. He protested, whining, pressing his head against her palm like a dog. She gave up with a defeated sigh, letting him to whatever he wants. Dream nuzzled his head to the crook of her neck and let out a content sigh. "You're a man-child. A touch starved one."
"Am not." He protested, with a pout, his breath fanning her neck, sending shivers down her spine at the feeling.
"Yes, you are. You should look at yourself, melting in my hands like a butter. Simp." He just rolled his eyes at her remark, countering her with a feather light kiss that he pressed on her neck, catching her by surprise. He grinned smugly, hearing her breath hitch at his sudden action. He laughed lightly at her flustered expression.

"You're so cute." He murmured, between his laughs. And it just made her blush harder. Y/n huffed out a sigh of annoyance, glaring playfully at the blonde boy. "Don't look at me like that."
"You're an idiot." She huffed out.
"At least yours." He sputtered out before he could stop himself. His hands flew up to cover his mouth, eyes widening. To which, her eyes glinted with surprise and hint of playfulness, despite the blush on her cheeks.
"Aw. Is that so?" And now it was her turn to tease him. He looked away, in attempts of hiding his flushed face from her.
"I-I mean, yeah? We're soulmates, after all." He stuttered out, frowning lightly, mentally cringing at his own stutter. His own words caused a serious question to pop up in his mind. Does she like him the way he does? Too early to ask her that. He shook his head to himself, dismissing his own question.

"Right." Y/n laughed out, feeling generous enough to stop her teasing and finally leave him be. The silence fell upon them. That was until he picked his book and quill up, to continue writing and pulled her closer to himself, so she was now sitting between his legs, leaning against his shoulder and chest. Y/n just laid her head on his shoulder without any protests, watching him write. Also, he noticed the way his scarred hands were shaking a little. Oh. That's the reason his handwriting looked a little off. She quietly inspected his scars, that littered his arms. His uniform sleeves were rolled up above his elbows, giving her just enough skin to inspect. The poor boy's arms were injured to the point that they were shaking just the slightest bit. Which annoyed him, because whenever he tried to write, his now messy handwriting bugged him. He used to have the perfect, clear handwriting. And now- and now it's ruined. All thanks to Quackity. Just remembering the short male's name already pissed Dream off. He subconsciously let out a sigh of annoyance, catching her attention. "What's wrong?"

"Huh?" The voice of hers brought him back to the reality as he blinked rapidly. "What?"
"You looked a bit off right now. Are you okay, Dream?"
"Yeah- yeah, I'm good, don't worry." Dream flashed her a quick smile, getting a nod out of her. He hummed, switching his attention back to the book he was writing.

°°°

The sound of something dull hitting the floor startled her, as she shifted slightly in Dream's gentle hold as he stopped writing. His own head whipped back to see what was that sudden noise. Those were just potatoes that were dropped by Sam. He let out a sigh, paying no more mind to the potatoes. Y/n saw them too and her hopes of Wilbur or Technoblade breaking them out shattered instantly. It wasn't time, yet. Not yet. They didn't break the silence, just him writing down on his book and her watching. Y/n soon grew bored and started feeling sleepy from boredom. She didn't have anything else to do, other than cuddling with Dream. The blonde boy seemed to notice her boredom and sleepiness, so he decided to abandon his writing and cuddle with her. She is a lot more important to him after all. He pressed his lips against her forehead, wishing her to have a good sleep, getting a sleepy response from her. He laughed quietly , finding it adorable. God...He really fell for her, huh?

°°°