Chapter 7

"Shove off, Hans. I have nothing to talk to you."

Anna's gaze filled with fury. She tried to keep her composure, to be cold and tough, but she couldn't hide how she exuded hatred for every one of her pores. I was suspicious of who he might be, and if that was really the case, it was going to be very difficult for me not to make my anger join hers and hang that bastard by his pinkies; but that wasn't my battle. The fact that Anna had told me her story didn't give me the right to interfere in her life.

"Do not worry, I won't take much of your time: I'm not that interested in you. I want the ring back."

'It is him.'

"Excuse me?"

My muscles began to build up tension and my fists clenched again. I made sure to memorize every detail of that sneering, despicable face and mentally measured his strength to make sure that, if necessary, I could confront him without exposing Anna's safety.

"It was hard to pay, you know?"

"It was a present. Presents are not claimed."

Anna got up and lifted her chin with dignity despite having her eyes three-quarters of a head far to his.

"You know it wasn't a present for you."

"If you hadn't gone gold-digging, you wouldn't have wasted your beloved money. For your information, I no longer have it. You can say goodbye to it."

He scrutinized her face, frowning, seemingly hoping to see that it was just a lie. But the confident smile that began to bloom on Anna's face made it clear that she was telling the truth.

"Then get it back. I want it back!"

The inquisitive tone of the redhead didn't back out Anna who faced him full of courage.

"Listen to me, Hans. There is only one possible way for that ring to come back to you, and that is with me making you swallow it. So, don't try your luck so much and get out of my sight before I decide to go looking for it for real."

One of the dirty hands of that jerk grabbed Anna's chin and he brought his face closer to hers. The blood was already running urgently every muscle in my legs to launch me against that cheeky that seemed to try to force Anna when his words stopped me before I got up.

"With that manners, no one will ever love you."

He looked at me, and then again at her, and made a piteous face.

"No one."

I couldn't handle it one second more. Anger ran through my body from top to bottom. Anna seemed calm, but I knew she was hurt. She was suffering; she felt ridiculous and attacked, she felt exposed and underappreciated.

I got up slowly and calmly, taking a deep breath. I walked over to Hans and removed his hand from Anna's chin. Afterward, I took delicately the hand of Anna, who was following my movements with her eyes wide, and I spoke with all the softness that I could find between the fury that ran through my veins.

"Can I have a minute of your time?"

Her eyes only broke away from mine for a moment, but it wasn't to look at Hans, it was to rest on my lips while I waited uneasily for her answer.

"Sure..."

Her voice was almost a whisper, but I didn't care. I accepted her answer, took her hand slightly stronger, and guided her through the entire room to the stairs leading to my parents' house, leaving Hans behind without bothering to check his reaction.

Anna followed me silently through the upstairs hallways until I reached my bedroom door. I opened the door and walked in with her hand still in mine. I carefully released her and closed the door behind me.

I turned back to her, who was waiting for me flushed and clearly puzzled.

I wanted to erase it. I wanted to make the touch of that man disappear from her skin. I wanted to cover with love every point where he had left pain. I searched her eyes, letting mine speak for me, and, seeing what seemed interest and desire, I leaned my body until my lips were level with hers.

"If you don't want to, just say it."

My voice came out as a whisper, but it was clear enough for her to hear it perfectly and to allow me to make sure I didn't cross a line that no one should ever cross.

Her response was a deep breath that slowly caressed my lips.

I closed my eyes, covered her cheeks with my hands, and slightly raised her face. I ran my own nose over her nose and her lips and placed a discreet kiss on her chin. Then, I carefully lowered her head and kissed her forehead: not only did I want to erase the touch of Hans, but I also wanted to erase his trace. I wanted to get him out of her head, I wanted there to be no memory of him even in her soul. I crouched deeper before her and kissed intensely but chastely the place of her chest that covered her precious heart.

I could feel her deep breathing catch into something like a purr.

The voice of reason left me.