Chapter 2: The Scarlet Eyes [Act 1]

1st POV

Striding along the hallway has always been a hobby of mine. Aside from knowing it's a form of exercise, I also get to discover more places and appreciate little things along the way in this huge mansion.

It's been days since the murders of young boys has stopped and coincidentally, Earl Argleton went missing and was later found dead near a graveyard. The police eventually found out about his evil schemes and the murders he committed. I visited Mr. Eden, the tailor and he seemed pleased and contented about this news.

But what confuses me is the timing.

According to the experts, Earl died 7-10 days ago and on those days, it was the time when William, Louis and I talked about Earl's last victim while Albert visited the tailor.

And if let's say that those two blond brothers found the identity of the killer, then that must mean that they are also behind his death?

I heave a deep sigh. I don't have any concrete evidence to accuse them of Earl's murder and maybe everything that happened is just a coincidence or it must be his karma for killing those innocent kids.

Either way, I think he kind of deserve it.

My gaze landed upon the picture frame on the wall. It was a picture of the three brothers, William is in the middle who looks comfartable sitting while Albert stood on his right and Louis on the left. No doubt that they all look handsome but despite the two blonds looking like aristocrats in this picture, I know for sure that they were adopted. After all, I was there when it happened.

A light chuckle escaped my lips, those times in my life are quiet traumatic and unforgettable.

-Flashback-

I was busy flowergazing when a black carriage suddenly arrived. The door swung open and it revealed a young man probably still years older than me. He was wearing a blue coat and pants matched with a blue hat, blue bowtie and a walking stick.

"I'm sorry that I couldn't come last week. I caught a cold..." I heard the man said apologetically even if they were meters apart from where I was.

The old woman shrug it off by moving her head side to side. "It's totally fine, Albert-sama. The kids are happy enough just by your feelings." The old woman reassured him before giving him a close-eyed smile. "More importantly, are you sure you don't need rest at home?"

Albert lowered his head and softly answered. "No..." He responded.

I waited for him to continue but I couldn't hear it anymore since his voice become quieter. But before I could react, a girl's voice suddenly interrupted. "Hey, hey. Read the book to me." She said in a high pitch tone, exicement evident in her voice.

"Okay, I'll be there..." Albert trailed off when he realised the little girl was talking to someone else and the scene made me smile.

Albert is indeed kind even to those people with lower status than him and I always try and wish to be like him. I don't know if he feels the same way I do but I despise the class system. It may be a blessing to other nobles and those people in the upper class but for me, I treat it as a burden that I have to endure and carry. And every single day, that burden becomes heavier and heavier and I know someday, I won't be able to carry it anymore.

The caretakers as well as Albert looked at the bench near them so I followed their gaze as well, landing on the two brothers.

They were new faces in here and I already learned that they were taken here a week ago. The younger one, I could already tell he is sickly but despite that, the two of them were very knowledgable and not only does the pair know how to write and read, but they also understand Latin. Especially the older brother...they say he's intelligent that even adults find it astonishing. I also heard that he was interested in Chemistry and Math.