Chapter four - petrichor: lingering

My work continued far from smoothly. Zona paired me up with Harley, one of the older workers in the apartment. He didn't say much, but he was very controlling.

Ever since the ambush, I was more cautious and not as fearless as I used to be. Every dark haired figure sent my heart into a frenzy.
Because of this, Harley only gave me the share of what he thought my work was worth. This consequently, wasn't a lot.

It was beyond frustrating. On top of my jittery mentality, I had to work in the confines of what Harley would let me do. This was happening every day, and I was quickly losing hope and patience.

I shoved open my door a bit more vigorously than intended, and was met with a few cuss words from my room mate.

"Geez woman! What has the door ever done to you?"

"I can't. I can't handle this Lex! I need to work on my own again, I can't do this. It's too much!"
I squirmed at the panic in my voice, but it couldn't be helped. I was losing my mind. Lex had her hands up in mock surrender.

I sighed, and sat next to Lexi on her bed. "Sorry, just a little stressed."

"I wouldn't call that a little."

I shrugged in response.

"You'll get the money back, don't worry. And once you do, Harley will be off your back."

I looked at her incredulously. She knew that I was falling too far behind.

"Even if you don't, I'm sure Zona will let you off the hook. She treats you like her god damned child sometimes, I swear."

"We both know that that's never going to happen Lexi."

"Well, I think there's a good chance she would."
I couldn't tell if she was being serious or not, so I decided to keep my opinions to myself.

"Oh! I forgot. Norbert's back."

"Bert's back? Since when?"

"Today. I'll call him over now."

Norbert Dieberman was in his mid twenties, and decided that he liked hanging out with Lexi and I.
At first, it was slightly strange, but after a few weeks, he was accepted into our highly exclusive group. It's been three years now since he's been around.
He is a great con artist, but he finds that the best work includes a bit of travelling on his part. His last trip was longer than usual, about two months.

Lexi sauntered over to the wall on my right, and slammed her fist into it several times. "OI, NORBERT! COME OVER HERE!"

A moment later, a disheveled and rather annoyed looking Norbert bursts through the door. "I've had a long, bloody  journey Monroe. Can you not try and make a hole in my wall when I am trying to sleep?"

His eyes are veiny from lack of sleep, and they rested on heavy, purple bags beneath them; this is only amplified by his glasses, that lie askew on his thin nose. His usually tan skin is paler than usual, and his dark hair is ruffled and random chunks stick up in various directions.

"Nice to see you too, Bertie." Lexi replies, with a smirk on her lips. "At least be nice to poor Matilda over here."

Norbert looks over at me, and his tense posture softens a bit. "Oh, didn't see you there."

"Hi Bertie, how does it feel to be back?"

"Yeah, well it was alright." He glared at Lexi, "until that happened."

Lexi just rolled her eyes, and plopped down next to me."Stop being so dramatic and come sit." She patted the space next to her, and Norbert sulked towards us.

"So, I've heard you got yourself in some trouble."

I nodded, "yeah, I'll tell you about it some other time. I need a distraction for now."

"No problem. Why don't I tell you two about my escapades then? Don't get me wrong, they're not as dramatic as yours, but a lot can happen in two months."

I gave him a grateful smile, "thanks Bert, but I think I'll just go out for some air."

"Do you think that's a good idea?" Lexi interjected.
"If Zona wants you to have a mentor when working, I don't think she's going to let you walk around on your own."

I rolled my eyes, "I can't get caught if I'm not working. I'll be fine."

"Whatever." She muttered, and stood up from the bed.

"I'll see you guys later." I said, and left. Lexi was frustrated with me, and I understood. But she wasn't the easiest to deal with either.

The thought of getting out of here was becoming more and more appealing.

*

It is widely known,  that rain is an extremely common occurrence in Britain; though I don't mind it. I ended up in a nice part of London, with symmetrical streets, adorned with white, towering apartments.

The rain has stopped momentarily; so the air is filled with a dewy petrichor, with an underlying tint of cherry blossom, from the trees that line the street.
I breathed it in. Enjoying the calming qualities of this atmosphere.

I look through the windows, and it's funny to see how different the lifestyles of each room present different personalities.

In one consists of old fashioned furniture, with lace curtains, and in another, posters plaster the walls, and fairy lights dangle across the window. I suddenly feel a bit intrusive.

I continue along the pavement, glancing through the windows. There's one that catches my eye. The window is slightly lower than the others, so I can see better. A desk sits behind the window, strewn with papers. Drawings, of a body, no face.

Something sinks in my stomach, and my head rings. The body looks familiar. Curiosity drives me  closer, to the iron bar fence, closer to the window.

I can see the drawings better now. They depict a figure, sporting a winter coat, lined with fur.

I run my hand along my own fur lined coat.

Her stance is awkward,and her small, lanky frame hunched. Dark hair flies in all directions and obscures the face.

My fingers twirl a strand of black coffee coloured hair.

The areas of her skin that show, are lightly shaded. I trace the pads of my fingers over my terracotta arms.

The features are not distinct; it's as if there is no face at all.

And there's the bag. My tatty backpack.

This girl had to be me. The chance for this to be a mere coincidence was extremely narrow.

Panic enveloped me like a thick blanket, suffocating me.

I eased open the window, and picked up the drawing from the desk with shaking hands.
With the folded paper in hand, I hastened back home.

Should I tell Zona? What would she do? Find the money, probably take some other things and then deal with him.
What would be the other option. Going in myself? I couldn't now, I was in the wrong mindset. My head was still spinning.

But as I was walking, something clicked into place. I knew where he lived now, I had the upper hand.
Perhaps, if I sorted out this new anxiety, if I planned it as throughly as I could... perhaps, this could be my chance to prove to Zona that I can handle myself.

No more Harley, and no more money problems.
Despite my shaking hands, the glimmer of hope seemed possible now.