Chapter eleven - recovery

I had never felt so comfortable before. My heavy head enveloped by a softness, which cradled the rest of my body. Despite the fact my eyes were closed, I could feel a warm glow on my face, and on the tops of my  shoulders.

However, the glow was becoming increasingly harsher, seeping under my eyelids, prying them open.

With squinting eyes, I observed my surroundings. A small room, but white and fresh, despite the pictures and posters on the walls. A narrow wardrobe and bedside table, crooked under the weight of a stack of dog-eared books.

The easy comfort I felt before was suddenly disrupted, when I realised where I was.

Jack's room.

A sharp jab in my head suddenly accompanied this realisation, and reminded me of my drunken state before.

I put my hands down on the bed to lever myself out, but as soon as I applied pressure, a stinging pain shot through my hands. I looked down to find my palms wrapped with a clean white gauze, though specks of red stained the surface.

When I finally managed to stand up, the throbbing in my head suddenly increased. I stumbled towards a mirror, to how much damage was really caused.

Black tresses and tangles hung unflatteringly from my head. My eyes, bloodshot. And the purple beneath my them, like unsightly bruises, only darkened the dull brown of my irises.
I rubbed my face, trying to ease some life into my milky tea complexion. But, to no avail.

After tackling my hair into a pony tail, I unsteadily made my way to the kitchen. Jack was already leaning against a counter, mug in hand.

"I was going to wake you up, but I wasn't sure how you'd react."

"What time is it", I tried to ask, but my voice was broken and raspy.

"Ten past nine."

Shit. I had to get back to the apartment.

"I know what you're thinking, Matilda. I'll drive you most of the way... Just have something to eat first, before you collapse or something."

He gestured towards a plate with jam toast, and clumsily cut fruit.

"You might also want this," he said, handing me a couple of pills and a cup of water with a stupid smirk on his face.

I yawned a thanks, before tossing the pills in my mouth.

"I'll be in the living room, just shout when you're ready."

He was being too nice again, but I didn't have the physical strength to call him out on it.
The toast was slightly burnt, but my hunger didn't seem to mind.

Jack was next to the sofa, folding up a blanket, a pillow tucked under his arm. It suddenly dawned on me, that I had slept on Jack's bed.

"I could've taken the sofa, you know."

"I couldn't have you rolling off the edge in your state, now, could I?" He teased, to which I rolled my eyes to.

*

The journey was silent, aside from the soft hum of the radio; and thankfully, Jack didn't force conversation.

"Is here ok?" Jack asked, slowing down the car. I recognised the street, the apartment was only a few minutes walk.

"Perfect."

He handed me the envelope with the money, and we agreed to meet in a couple days.
I was still resistant about his niceness, but I decided he needed some gratitude for putting up with me.