Chapter seventeen - hang up

I knew that as soon as I left the confines of Zona's apartment, I would be exposed to Lexi. There was now a constant feeling that she was watching. It was uncomfortable, and made my skin crawl with trepidation.

I rushed to the nearest phone box, punching in Jacks home phone number with shaking fingers.

I tuned out the rest of the world, only the shrill rings of the phone filled the space around me.

The rings stopped.

"Hello."
Jack said, in quite a chipper tone.

"Jack, it's -"

"Sorry I missed your call, please call back at a later time."

My heart sunk at the realisation that it had gone to voicemail.

I slotted some more coins in, and redialed. I squeezed my eyes shut, willing the rings to be stopped with a click and a wary 'hello' from Jack.
But instead...

Voicemail.

I could feel my throat tightening, and the blood leaving my face.

The phone slipped from my fingers. It clashed against metal, and bounced until it was just dangling helplessly from a fraying wire.

I braced myself against the cracked pane of the phone box, feeling too lightheaded to stand.

Maybe Jack was just out of the house. Maybe he just didn't hear his phone.
But it was just a maybe.

I couldn't help myself, jumping to conclusions; especially in this situation, I had to expect the worst.

I took a shaky deep breath, in my best efforts to calm myself down, but my hands still trembled. I only realised now that I had gotten used to relying on Jack when things went out of control.

"Stop. Stop. Just- get a hold of yourself."

I closed my eyes again, breathing in for ten seconds, breathing out for twelve.

It was something Norbert used to do when he couldn't sleep. Lexi always used to roll her eyes. But it actually seemed to be working now.

Despite the anxiety crawling under my skin, my heart rate eventually levelled.
I decided to try and call one more time.

If he didn't pick up, I would have to go and find him myself.

I slotted the coins in again. Dialled. Listened to the rings.

Voicemail.

I clicked the phone back in its hold, and opened the door of the box.

There were two outcomes that ran through my mind on repeat.

The first theory was that Jack was out, perhaps at work, so he didn't pick up the phone.
But I knew that Jack didn't work on a Wednesday.

Alternatively, he could have been followed and consequently ambushed by Lexi.

Perhaps I was just thinking irrationally. But I knew that I had to do something, waiting for Jack to pick up the phone just wasn't an option.

*

I knew I was getting closer, and with each step I could feel fear and nausea growing inside. I forced myself to ignore it.