The first Job tester day

I wake up at the crack of dawn which was the earliest I've woken up since I got here, remembering I'd only been here a day. Just remembering it's the day Alby chooses what job I'll be doing I pull the sheets back over my head and slowly fall back to sleep when a loud banging sound hits your door. "Come on y/n get some breakfast, I'll meet you at the table. Alby shouts. Not wanting to keep him waiting I slowly make my way out of bed and put on the only one out of two sets of clothes I had in my draw, the supplier only gave new clothes every couple of months so I know I'll be living off 3 sets of clothes for a while. I had a long brown tank top with blue jeans and brown boots, I also found a black beanie in the bottom drawer so I put that on and I was set to go.

I walk over to the little lunch room not far from my hut and walk inside, the food smells delicious but I wasn't really hungry so I just had a glass of water and an apple and found a table at the back empty. I sat down right in the corner hoping I could gobble up the apple before Alby came. A few minutes went by and someone taps me on the shoulder, it's Minho. I giggle as he slides across the table to sit opposite me. With just a pear in his hand. "The food smells delicious here," you say to him. "It may smell it but eating the same 3 things over and over again gets boring" Minho replied. I could understand how it would be hard to make full course Meals for over 40 boys but I also understand how the food would get boring after a while. After talking for a while and messing about Alby comes over and sits next to Minho. "Alright what's going on with you two" he smirks. I act confused about what he meant knowing exactly what he was trying to say. I waited for Minho to take over but he stayed silent just smirking. "So that's how it is, well as long as your doing your jobs and stick to the rules I don't care what you do" which for some reason put a grin on my face. "Anyway talking about jobs  y/n, let's see how you're useful in the gardens first" me knowing it was the easiest job I wanted something more challenging but before saying anything Alby spoke again "try that for a few days and if you want something different, come to me and we'll work it out." it was literally like he read my mind. Before I could say any more to Minho, he had to go off into the maze. "Be careful" I added. He smiled, "I always am princess" he teased as he walks out.

Just as Alby finished his food he called Newt over. "Hey Newt, take y/n over to the gardens for me," He said. "Alright, come on love" I got up and followed him out. "How are you and Minho," he asks. I roll my eyes, "perfectly good friends" I smile. "Didn't seem that way last night, you were giggling for hours?" he says. "I don't know, he might just trying to be friendly," I say as looking into the maze on my way past. "Mhm sure yeah" he adds sarcastically. "I thought Minho was supposed to be the sarcastic one" I laugh. "Ah, Minho again" he laughs. He leads me to the garden where I meet the keeper of the gardens/track-hoes, Zart. A very pale and blonde hair guy wearing a brown t-shirt under his green quarter sleeve top. "Hey Greenie" he smiles. I smile back not sure what to say, hoping Newt or Zart would explain to me soon so I can just get it dusted. "Be nice" Newt says sternly to Zart as he walks off. "alright Greenie, start pulling the weeds from your corner alright?" he says as he continues with his work. "That's it," I ask, he turns back around "it's that easy" he laughs. You swoop down and start pulling out all the weeds from your section. After a while, you look up to see Chuck struggling to carry 3 planks of wood across the glade. "Need some help there Chuck" I shout laughing. "Nope I'm good," he says as he falls to the floor with all the wood flying everywhere. I run over to help him since he's quite a distance away. "You alright Chuck," I ask helping him carry the wood to the builder's hut. "Yeah I'm good thanks, he says as he tries to use his arm to get up but falls back down with a hard hit. "I think I've done something to my arm y/n," he says worriedly. "Don't worry chuck I'll take you to Clint" I was proud to know one of their names without having to think twice. I help him up with his other arm that didn't hurt, his left and then walked him over to the hut where he explained everything to Clint. I walk back to pick up the wooden planks but they're gone, someone must have already moved them. I guess I'll have to get back to weeding I thought. I walk over and continue pulling the weeds out of the ground till late afternoon when everybody stopped working and the runners come back. I wait by the entrance to the maze for Minho and Ben to appear from one of the corners and soon enough they do.

Once I can see them I realised how much of a bad idea it was and how weird it seemed to be waiting for two boys who did the same thing every day to come back. "Hey y/n," Ben says as he jogs past, Minho slowing down in front of me. "Is everything alright?" he asks, "uh yeah everything is fine, just uh wanted to see what way you come out of the maze today" I'm gonna hit myself in the head for that later. He just smiles, as we walk off towards the lunchroom. "How was gardening," he asks laughing. "The most boring thing I've ever done and I know I've only been here 2 days but I would much rather go out there with you than do that for another day. "Oh really," he says doing that sarcastic smirk thing he does that drives me insane. "Well then race me to the lunchroom" he laughs already taking off, it was only a 4-minute walk so we didn't have much running time but wait he'd already started. "Hey that's not fair" I laugh catching up to him and running past him quickly. Soon enough I got to the end first. Waiting for him to get here I smirk at him. "Alright princess you win, maybe we should switch jobs" I laugh as we walk into the lunchroom trying to catch my breath.

Once again all he gets is a pear and I get an apple.  Sitting opposite each other Newt comes over to us sitting next to Minho. "You two made it official yet" he jokes. I just roll my eyes and smile, Minho smirking in his corner. Whenever someone asks something like that we never seem to answer. "Alright stay all quiet but my bets are on you two together by the end of the week," he says as he walks off. I and Minho just stay quiet for a moment until I look up at him smirking, I just laugh and so does he. We didn't realise how long we were in the lunchroom talking cause soon enough everybody had left but us, we walk outside sitting on the bench by the hammocks, he's telling me loads of stories about how one time Fry ran into a tree while playing tag with the other gladers, and another time when Gally was shouting at Newt and his voice cracked so now if he gets mad the gladers call him squeakers. I laughed hard at that one.

We always had a good laugh because the time would go by so quick, it was time to go back to my hut. "Let me walk you so you don't fall over thin air again" he laughed. It made me smile but I try to hide it by saying "well maybe if someone didn't put that twig there I wouldn't have fallen over" in a sarcastic way. He laughs and we start walking towards my hut. "Well you succeeded," Minho says sarcastically, obviously talking about not falling over on my 5-minute walk. I roll my eyes and say a sarcastic "goodnight" before closing the door. As I stand by the door for a second waiting for him to leave, he shouts "goodnight" laughing. I smirk as I take my clothes off, throwing them back in the draw to wash tomorrow and jumping into bed again struggling to take my mind off Minho. After about an hour of him in my head, I finally manage to drift off.