Natsuki Subaru.

Overshadowed. 

If there was a single word to describe Natsuki Subaru's life that would be it. Overshadowed. 

Nothing he did was ever good enough, and every time he achieved something noticeable, well that was what's expected from his father's son. Natsuki Kenichi was in every way better than him, even his airheaded mother surpassed him in many aspects. 

Overshadowed. 

Even when he was summoned to a parallel world, a world where he expected everything to be presented to him on a silver platter, he was still Overshadowed. 

By Reinhard's strength, Overshadowed. 

By Rem's diligence, Overshadowed. 

By Emilia's kindness, Overshadowed. 

By Ram's charisma, Overshadowed. 

By Roswaals status, Overshadowed. 

By Beatrice's wisdom, Overshadowed. 

Overshadowed 

Still. Since he came to this parallel world, he'd gained so much. 

Acquaintances he remembered fondly. Felt, old man Rom. 

Friends he held dear. Reinhard, Rem, Puck. 

Sister's he cherished. Ram, Beatrice. 

A mentor he looked up to. Roswaal. 

… Emilia, the silver-haired half-elf who made his heart flutter with a single smile, the girl he vowed to save, the lady he swore his soul to, the princess he proclaimed his love to. 

Natsuki Subaru was now surrounded by people he loved and who in return loved him -though some might cover their affection in a layer of venom - not because he was some sort of protagonist, he gave up that idea long ago-, but because he worked hard to get where he is today. 

Is this the potential his parents saw in him, is this the reason they never gave up on him. Because they knew, even though he denied it with all his might, that he wasn't useless. That he isn't empty, that he isn't someone to be hated.

Natsuki Subaru couldn't deny it anymore, no one as weak he thought himself to be would face monster after monster and come out victorious. no one as cowardly as he thought himself to be would distract a legion of demons alone to give others a chance of survival. no one as empty as he thought himself to be would ever receive such bright smiles every morning. 

He had to admit it.

'Natsuki Subaru you're an amazing guy.'

It's been a week since Subaru and Emilia's conversation next to the gazebo. Since then she would get flustered every time they spoke, she's been acting especially weird the past couple of days. Normally, she wasn't the fidgety type, but when they spoke she'd start playing with her long silver hair before asking some weird question, usually something like:' did you practice?' or 'are you ready?', He didn't understand what she was referring to, so he simply dodged the question. 

He was currently helping the twins in preparing breakfast. as per usual, he was peeling vegetables. 

Rem: "Subaru Kun, you've improved significantly compared to how you started, rem is impressed!"