Bonding

Thanks to CalciferBurnsBacon for the support on this story and my oneshots books x

***

"So, I usually take Toothless for a quick patrol around the island before bed." Hiccup explained to his future son. "There are some spare clothes in that chest over there. And just, make yourself at home."

"Actually, Pouncer and I usually go for a flight around this time too, do you mind if we tag along?" Nuffink asked.

"Of course not. You don't mind do ya, Bud?" He checked with his dragon who was currently nuzzling at the white Night Light dragon curiously. He turned to his rider and bounced with excitement, soon joined by the young Fury. "I think he's okay with it."

***

"It look's like the guys have gone for an evening flight." Astrid noticed as she gazed out of the window.

"Yeah, Nuff likes to take his flights before bed. I prefer morning flights. It's just a nice way to kickstart the day." Zeph explained.

"I agree." Astrid chuckled. "Stormfly and I go for a training flight every morning. It's fun and practical. And it's a nice way to escape Snotlout and the twins for a few hours."

"Training is definitely important," Zephyr stated as she waltzed over to her dragon who pounced at her, like a cat chasing a strange light on the ground. She leaped out of the way and somersaulted over Dart's back.

"Not bad." Astrid thought. "Let's see how you do against a Deadly Nadder." She smirked. "Stormfly, spine shot!"

Zeph managed to roll away, as several spines followed her along the ground.

"Oh please. I've been working with Nadders since I was six years old." She scoffed.

"Oh really? Well, how are you with close combat?" The blonde wondered.

"Well, on my island, there's not a whole lot of competition in my age group."

"I can relate to that." Astrid chuckled. "Care for a challenge?"

"Against you?" Zeph panicked. "Thanks but I think I would prefer to keep my limbs. No way I can take you."

"What makes you say that?" Astrid marveled, curiously.

"Uh- You just seem like one of those strong, confident, warrior types." Zeph saved.

"Huh, smarter than you look." The blonde teased.

"Wha- Hey!"

"Gods, you really do sound like Hiccup." Astrid noticed.

***

"Try to keep up." Hiccup called behind him as he adjusted the pedal of Toothless saddle, gaining a sudden burst of speed.

"Huh, look's like that saddle is really slowing them down," Nuff recalled. "Let show em, Bud." Pouncer darted forward, now flying just ahead of Toothless. "What's the matter? Are we a little too fast for you? Need us to slow down?"

"Oh, it's on." Hiccup smirked mischievously.

It ultimately ended in a tie.

"Look's like you got some competition there, Bud." Toothless rolled his eyes at his rider as he dismounted. They stepped inside Hiccup's hut, shortly followed by their riders.

***

"I gotta say... I'm impressed." Astrid panted as Zephyr offered her a hand off the ground. Their sparring session had taken a surprising turn. Of course, Astrid was a little more experienced at forty than she was at nineteen, and Zephyr of course had been training since she was able to stand on her own two feet.