Date with Destiny

"So, let me get this straight." Snotlout thought. "Astrid and Hiccup get married. Heather becomes the Berserker Chief. Dagur and Mala actually get married."

"So, Mala doesn't slice Dagur's head off in the dance of blades?" Tuffnut checked.

"No, Tuff." Older Hiccup assured. "She doesn't cut his head off." The twins both sighed in disappointment.

"So, care to clue us in on how we defeat Johann?" Young Hiccup questioned.

"NO!" Zeph and Nuff both shrieked.

"You have to figure it out for yourselves. It could change your future if we tell you the wrong thing." Nuffink explained.

"Woah, really?" Fishlegs wondered.

"Yes," Zeph stated plainly. "When we were at the Edge, we had to be so careful."

"There were a few close calls." Her brother added.

"But, I've never had so much fun in my life." The young brunette admitted. "Protecting the base, sparring with mom, helping dad with his inventions."

"Yeah, flying with dad was a lot of fun, and the explosions were awesome!" Nuff added.

"Yeah!" The twins cheered in agreement.

"Somethings never change." Older Astrid rolled her eyes and let out a little chuckle.

***

After several hours of chatting, the Chief had been called away twelve times, and Zephyr had begun writing in her journal and hadn't heard a word anyone had said for the last few minutes.

"Zeph!" The young brunette jumped at the sound of her mother's voice. She looked towards the blonde sat beside her, who shook her head and gestured to her younger self. "Gods, you're harder to snap out of your thoughts than Hiccup. What are you working on?" She wondered as she ventured towards the young teen and sat by her side. Zephyr quickly slammed the book shut.

"Nothing." Both Astrid's glared at her. She let out a sigh, hesitantly opening up to the page she was working on. The page was filled with blueprints and sketches. "Okay, I know I can't tell you anything, but that doesn't mean I can't help you maximize your defenses." She explained. "I'm thinking some armor could come in handy."

"Zeph, this isn't your fight." The chief warned as he re-entered the arena.

"Yes. It is." She corrected. "Dad. If there's one thing you've taught me, it's that a chief protects their own. That the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. If I can help, then that's what I'm gonna do."

"You're not a chief yet." He glared.

"Not if you don't give me the chance to be."

'You're not a man yet, Hiccup'

'Not if you don't give me the chance to be.'

The memory with his father rang through the minds of both Hiccups.

"Dad, I could go with them. I could help them defeat Johann once and for all and be back before you even knew I was gone." Zeph suggested.

"No. Nope, absolutely not." He declined. "It's far too dangerous."

And suddenly, there it was, that familiar and frightening tingle in her hand. Zeph glanced down at her hand and it slowly turned transparent. Her head shot towards her brother, who seemed to have the same problem. They both turned towards their father.

"Woah, they can turn invisible?" The twins awed.

"What's happening?" Snotlout gasped.

"We changed history," Zeph explained as she motioned to her father's hand, which also appeared to be disappearing.

"Hiccup, you have to let her go." His wife advised.

"What?! Astrid, are you insane?"

"Honey, she's not a little girl anymore." The blonde reminded.

"Dad, if you don't let me go, we're all gonna disappear."

"Hiccup." Younger Astrid stood in front of the Chief. "Remember what your dad said when you told him about the dragon eye?"

"He couldn't stop me if he wanted to. So, he may as well support me."

"I may have only known Zeph for a few weeks but she's a warrior, a protector. And I'm willing to bet that she would do just about anything to protect her people. They both would."

Hiccup let out a sigh and pulled the strange device he had invented out of his pocket.

"Take the Furies." He exhaled hesitantly. The Haddock's hands all returned to normal. Zephyr hopped off the ground and let out a whistle. Ruffrunner came darting into the arena and took a few moments to process the situation he suddenly found himself in. "Be careful." He warned his daughter.

"Don't worry." She smiled, taking the device. "I'm ready."

"Not without me you're not," Nuffink smirked as he joined her amongst the riders.

"When you get back, we're gonna have to talk about that tackle," Astrid said as her daughter jumped into her arms, earning a chuckle.

"Look after our girl." Hiccup warned his younger self, who nodded in understanding.

"With my life."

"When you get back. How about that flight?" Hiccup gave his son a hug.

"Sounds good." Nuff sighed happily he and his sister swapped places.

"You've got this." Astrid smiled hugging the younger blonde.

"Thanks, Mom."

Zeph halted before hugging her father.

"Dad, you can stop worrying about me now."

"He'll never stop worrying about us," Astrid smirked knowingly. "Any of us."

"I just don't want you to get hurt." The Chief exhaled.

"Hey, it's an occupational hazard." She chuckled. Both Hiccup's had to fight the tear in their eye.

"You're gonna make a great chief." He smiled before being tugged into a hug.

"I know." She admitted before glancing towards her brother. "I've got him." She took her brother's hand. The Haddock all joined in a group hug, soon surrounded by everyone else.

"Go." Hiccup smiled, grasping his wife's hand. "Make your own destiny." They both took a few steps back. Astrid gripped Hiccup's arm in an attempt to calm his nerves.

"And when you return, New Berk will be right here waiting for you."

***